Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe dumb question, but this is HARD plastic with a hard plastic bottom. Says "pull", but not working! Tips? I also saw a post somewhere where the man couldn't remove the bit from the bottom part after he got it open. This is about 4 years old, don't think they make this packaging anymore. Help?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If the package is what I'm picturing, squeeze the sides of the plastic case and the clear lid should come off. When you get the lid off, the bit might be stuck in the black holder. You'll have to push up on the bottom of the holder and the bit will come out. Be careful with the bit, it will be sharp.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
remove the sealing tape 1st that wraps around the top and bottom pieces.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe dumb question, but this is HARD plastic with a hard plastic bottom. Says "pull", but not working! Tips? I also saw a post somewhere where the man couldn't remove the bit from the bottom part after he got it open. This is about 4 years old, don't think they make this packaging anymore. Help?
Definitely not a dumb question! I struggle with this every time I buy one of their router, drill or any other of their products packaged that way.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Something like that, I usually wind up using my pocket knife.

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
I slit the wrapper with a knife first along the join between the top and bottom, then press the sides. I keep a pair of leather gloves around when changing bits. Old skin cuts easily, and those bits are extremely sharp!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Hi Jenny and welcome. Be very careful and don't drop the bits. The carbide tips are very hard and that is good but they are brittle and break easely. You probably already know that but just incase you didn't you do now.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hi Jenny and welcome. Be very careful and don't drop the bits. The carbide tips are very hard and that is good but they are brittle and break easely. You probably already know that but just incase you didn't you do now.
I guess this rules out using a hammer... eh...

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
I agree that sometimes a 3 lb engineer's hammer is the most appropriate tool...… at least it makes me feel better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_rage There's even a term for the frustration

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have one of those Bosch router bit sets and the slots where the router bits fit into are that tight I need to wear gloves to get them in and out, you would think they would make them a little looser as you can easily cut yourself using bare fingers.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you turn the case over you'll see a small hole on the bottom. Put the case in a vice upside down and using a pin set and hammer lightly tap the bit until its almost out then remove it from the vice and pull the rest of the bit out by hand.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I've considered TNT.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.