Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dust collector is about half full or you might say half empty. :wink:
When should I empty it? I am thinking it's ready now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you have a bag to empty I would. Mine has disposable plastic bags on bottom so can wait a while longer but still do not want it too heavy.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You are probably getting to the point where the cyclonic action will start being affected.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I've found that half full is a good time to empty...if only because you can shake alot of the top dust into the bag,,let it settle down then its also much easier to disconnect and dispose of...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Mine is a 32 gal garbage can and when it gets about 2/3 full I empty it. I can feel a decrease in airflow about that time. I have forgot and left it until it was right to the top before and did notice an increase in airflow after I dumped it.

One time a long time ago I wasn't paying attention until my airflow dropped drastically to almost nothing and when I checked the collector bin was full and so were the canister filters. What a mess to clean up. Needless to say I put a sensor on the bin to set off an alarm when the bin is full.

Herb

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I let my DC collector bag get nearly full before emptying, maybe I don't see a noticeable drop in suction because it's a 1.5 hp motor and I also take the upper 1 micron filter bag out and beat the crap out of it at the same time and hose it inside and out at least once every summer. I don't know the volume of the collection bag but it's 45" long with a 24" diam., it holds a lot of dust and chips and weighs a ton. If it is PT free I store it outside in the garden for about a year then mix it into the compost and garden soil.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I think it depends a little on how its set up. If it has the conical setup, I think it will work ok until fairly full, But if it is an in-out canister, then half way full is about the right time to empty. It is amazing how heavy it gets. I have a drum container and just bought some clear plastic bags to tape tight over the drum so when I empty it, the dust doesn't go flying.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My DC is a Grizzly 1 1/2 HP model. I did empty it yesterday and I am glad I took it outside. The dust from the upper bag got all over everything even though I beat it half to death. :wink: Cleaning it up was a easy, I just fired up my leaf blower and spread it over the yard.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hawkeye10,
It won't learn nothing if it's only beaten half to death.

I hang mine from the swing set out back and pretend I'm interrogating, (beating) and evil puppy abusing animal terrorist who needs to learn something about being nice. When I smack it, it reminds me of sawdusty smoke signals aimed at the ground.

I begin my ritual with the memorable demand from the Nazi interrogator in the "Cheech & Chong skit, "Sign ze papers oldman!" then I commence ta smackin.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
"I put a sensor on the bin to set off an alarm when the bin is full"
Herb, you have my attention! How did you do this?
Mike
I used a garage door sensor light set up between the cyclone and the dust container, cut a hole and put a plastic window for the light to shine thru, when it is blocked it sets off a strobe light in the shop. In my old set up it was in the side of the container near the top.

Also do like Tom and put a plastic bag into the dust container and just tie the top and throw it into the garbage. I put a piece of formica bent around the insde of the can to hold the empty bag from being sucked into the cyclone.

Herb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts