Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any idea how this was cut was made? Since the post is built up with 5/4 stick around a 4x4 the edge treatment must have been done after the post was built. I can guess that the bevel was probably made with a 45 degree bit but how was the transition to the curved part made?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
Band saw would do it, or a router and then a band saw or some sort of hand saw.

Lay a corner into a 90 degree cradle and cut most of the 45 degree cut, reverse it and cut the other half. Then use the band saw to cut a nice curve, while still in the cradle. In the field it could be done with a sabre saw, but there's less repeatability that way. Use a pattern to mark it up. The give away is the straight cut at the transition from the 45 cut to the curve.

Probably a job for an apprentice.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
A skil saw can go to 45 degrees ,and have a guide air nailed to the post . My other though was doing it the hard way with a router . Build a sled for the router that attaches to a 45 degree angle

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Art
That profiles is called a lamb tongue ( I usually cut the 45 with a routr and finish with a hand chisel )

The video shows making a double tongue your profile is a single tongue if you practice with a sharp chisel you can learn to make that single tongue pretty quickly

I was able to find a video showing how to hand cut lambs tongue

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
The post IS resting in a cradle. That was 12 minutes per lambs tongue, that's almost an hour per set of 4. At say $50 an hour, that going to be $80 in labor, plus whatever material. I think this could easily be done with a band saw, and done much faster. Unless, of course, you have a premium customer, or an appreciative wife, or just love hand work.

The cradle will hold the angle, the band saw blade set at 90 will cut the 45.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The post IS resting in a cradle. That was 12 minutes per lambs tongue, that's almost an hour per set of 4. At say $50 an hour, that going to be $80 in labor, plus whatever material. I think this could easily be done with a band saw, and done much faster. Unless, of course, you have a premium customer, or an appreciative wife, or just love hand work.

Pretty hard to get a porch post up to a band saw.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Art ask how the profile was made, This is 2 ideas on how to do it, I guess if he was going to mass produce two or 300 of them he needs to find a faster and better way of doing it but we just need to replace one post on his porch don’t think it’s a big deal
Just looking at the pictures I would bet that a Craftsman build them on job site.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks one and all. The video helps and it looks like the best way to build the post is to build it in the shop and clad the 4x4 later. From the first video, it almost looks like the 45 degree bit made the whole thing. Before he started the finishing work the end on the right looked as if it had the little curve in it. I'll experiment and see what happens. I agree that it would be easier to remove the bulk with a saw so I'll try the band saw first since I'll be able to stop the blade cut exactly where I want it. I'm not sure when the post was built but it was a lot of years ago. I have seen two other houses with the identical posts so it was either a common practice or the same carpenter did all the porches. I think I'll shoot a question to the YouTuber he can probably offer some tips. I only have to build one of these sp time isn't an issue. In addition to the post, there is some trim on the top and bottom that I have to replicate.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

wow!!!

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Art
That profiles is called a lamb tongue ( I usually cut the 45 with a routr and finish with a hand chisel )
I'm w/ you...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
coping saw...
square the chamfer w/ a saw too..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.