Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Too many.....

Votes: 83 59.3%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
At last count 120+

Ya, I know to many :) :) but some times I still don't have the right one, and I do try and use all diff. parts of the bits but some times you just got to buy a new one. :)
The new ones will be here Fri. a set of 3 Bird-Mouth bits, I love router bits :) hahahaha.

Bj :)

·
Banned
666 Posts
I was fortunately given many projects to do especially when I was refurbishing Executive aircraft which required a great variety of cutters, so I would have over 150 cutters in my posession (must make a count some day) many are duplicated as I used to purchase two of the same type to ensure I had a sharp one available for the process I was required to do. I did not have time to wait until they were returned from the Saw Doctor. The smallest cutter I have is 1.6mm diameter, and the largest is a Rounding over with an eliptical cut 25mm 1/2 minor axis approx. Just fitted into my Makita router which has a base opening of 64mm.
I only ever purchased a cutter as I needed it and I always purchased the better quality as I knew they would last longer. Also they produced a better cut. there are many people who have purchased sets of cutters and have still to use some of them.
I have purchased a great number of Face/Edge cutters as opposed to the bearing type since I learned the advantages of the Template Guides
Tom

·
2,392 Posts
Mark,

When are you going to get a Router and join the fun?!

I too went the normal route... eBay for sets of cheap goodies... just to find out that I wouldn't use most of them... keyword: "most" BUT it gave me an economical way to determine what I really wanted to use... I could use a variety to 'test' the waters, so to speak.

Thanks to learning from watching The Router Workshop, I am learning more of what to concentrate on and how to use them.

I am still using the cheapie stuff (but not as a heavy diet...) at a Hobby rate...

As I reach out with more projects where router work is desired, I am increasing my bit count with quality bits that will do a good job... longer and safer.

I recently ordered a small handful of bits and spent more on them than I had spent on all bits to date!! I will know that I have quality that will last and do a good job for me... rather than cheapies that will get dull fast, possibly break, and just end up as an unsafe tool... the cheapies have served their purpose.

When the dust settles, I think I will be able to say that I will have maybe around 15 quality bits. (I will just keep the cheapies to let them do what have done with newer bits that I haven't used yet) :)

If I were to do it all over again, knowing what I knew when I started out, I would do the same thing... It has worked... so far...

OK Mark, when are you going to take the first step... with a router?
... a Hitachi, Triton, Bosch, or what? :) :)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I wouldn't say I have too many but not quite enough either. ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also started with a large set of e-bay bits. Worked out to under $1 per bit even with shipping. I do not regret the purchase as I believe its a great way to figure out which bits you use the most. As they burn up I replace them with good ones.

E-bay set had 50 and I now have about 15 from MLCS.

Rusty

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Joe, I would definatly like to join up and start to create some projects but sometimes I don't have the time. I mean, I have access to tons of routers and I have access to tons of routerbits. So, that isn't the problem. :p

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi NiceG316

Yep, I think it's item they come with, my come back to her is always , Well why do you have 60+ pairs of shoes and more bottles of stuff in the bathroom than I can count.
And her come back is most of the time ,just keep your junk out of my kitchen BUD, and my come back it ALWAYS, yes Dear, and what's for dinner ? :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My wife is getting more into this scrapbooking craze. She has this thing called a "Sizzix Dye Cutter" which you can purchase dyes for to cut out patterns in paper. I sware those things cost every bit as much as a good router bit!

She gets on me about buying new tools and such, when her hobby is just as expensive, if not more, than mine!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Maybe we should do a How many router jigs do you own?

Bj, you can let your wife know that if she thinks leaving a router bit in the kitchen is bad, then my wife has to put up with 3 routers in the bedroom on the night stands.
Last week when I was out of town I called her up and asked her to take few close-up pictures of my routers and email them to me, told her the one in my wallet was too small. :D

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Router

"one in my wallet was too small" = LOL ,I love it hahahahahahahaha

I don't keep a picture in my wallet, but I do like them hahahahahahaha LOL
I think if I did that (called her up) she would send the guys with the white jackets and tell them he as lost it, just pick him up. :)

"How many router jigs do you own" = too many,lost track LOL ,jigs/templates, is the key to making more than one of any router job. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
she would send the guys with the white jackets and tell them he as lost it, just pick him up.
Well Bj, She has given that some serious thought. At least once a day. What she’s worried about is, me asking the white jacket guys if they by any chance might have a slightly used Bosch 1619EVS they want to sell me and if they did she has to put up with one more router in the bedroom. :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.