Votes: 9 5.2%
  • over 151

Votes: 14 8.1%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about a new method of storage for my router bits. One of the first things I needed to know was how many I have. It was a lot more then I would have guessed...... Now this count is both 1/4" and 1/2" bits that would take up a place in a storage area with an associated hole for it to set in. So if you have (3) 1/4" straight bit that counts as 3 bits.... if you have set of bearings that change the profile of the bit 7 different ways it is still one bit for this count.

No prizes for the most or least but if you would like to tell us how you store them that would be great.

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
reible I have may be a 100 give or take. Used some still going through that 66pc set and used 4 so far. I'm going to try to use them all just need the right application to use them for.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My count was a little bit of an estimate but probably fairly close, and then whenever I see a sale on good bits that I use alot I get replacements ahead of time. I still don't feel too guilty though - my wife and 2 of my daughters each have more shoes than I have bits (and bits don't take up as much room). You can never have too many bits or too much clampage!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i found out that I can put my small router bits on peg board... nice and handy to have them where I can find them, when my wife puts things everywhere in my shop...but, the larger ones, I still have trouble putting them in a place that is easily accesible.. (still havent made any type of tihng, for the drawer that is in the table that my router sits on... maybe a piece of 1X6 stock and drill holes in it,for the things to stick into? Probably will do it eventually... Jesse

·
Registered
17 Posts
New bits

I have 22 bits, but seeing as I just ordered my first real set of 15 maybe that number does not count See Getting Started site Fisherman123 Mike

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Hey Mike, that's a great amount to start with! It's not the amount that matters, it's how you use it :) I look forward to seeing your projects Mike!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Router bits and storage.

It appears that I have 78 router bits, most of which are in the bit cupboard,
the larger ones I store in the drawers under my table, which, by the way is nearly
twenty years old now, and I wouldn't chance one thing of it.
Derek.

See here:-
Picture 056.jpg (320.9 KB)
Picture 057.jpg (320.6 KB)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Easy! According to my wife I have too many

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not enough. I have a list of some new ones and will soon make a few purchases. I keep all my straight bits in an open cupboard. The others are in a vertical case with 2 opening side doors. Spanners and most of the guide plates share the top pull out drawer. All the bits are held in CMT black soft plastic holders that are recessed into the shelves.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

Same on this end " Not enough "
about 1500 at last count :) and not one of them has been sharpen......I just buy new ones..just less money in the long run.

====

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thirty four, although I have some duplicates as I've bought a few sets, and I have two rabbeting sets because I lost one, then bought a new one and found the old one.:confused:

·
Registered
989 Posts
When you buy second hand bits, do you have them professionally re-ground thus making old ones like new.
Derek.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most of my bits are used bits now. I had only one reground at a cost of about 40% of the new bit. I would only regrind used bits that looked like they needed it. I sold about five of my duplicate bits to a friend for a really good price; they had all been used a little, and a couple were unused. I doubt he will have any of them sharpened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went out to look at my router bits after seeing this poll. I made two cabinets some time ago, one for router bits and one for drill bits. Both are pretty full, but, the few bits that I actually use are always near the front. It is surprising how many bits I hang on to that really are not much use to me anymore. Maybe a poll on most frequently used bits would be informative.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I have over the 151 but don't really know where all of them are since I moved into the new shop. I try to stay away from the big sets because they have a lot of bits I know I won't ever use. The sets I buy are special like roundover, the set I make wooden hinges with, rail and style sets (I have 2 they do all the rail and styles I want to do). and slot cutters. Most of the rest are standard bits I have duplicates of. I buy them when I find them on clearance or special sales.

The only problem I see in owning so many bits is that I don't have a router for every bit I have so I have to stop now and then to change bits.

Mike

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Mike

Can't have to many routers :)

===

I have over the 151 but don't really know where all of them are since I moved into the new shop. I try to stay away from the big sets because they have a lot of bits I know I won't ever use. The sets I buy are special like roundover, the set I make wooden hinges with, rail and style sets (I have 2 they do all the rail and styles I want to do). and slot cutters. Most of the rest are standard bits I have duplicates of. I buy them when I find them on clearance or special sales.

The only problem I see in owning so many bits is that I don't have a router for every bit I have so I have to stop now and then to change bits.

Mike

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
About 25 or so. Had a really nice dedicated drawer that I had made for them under my work bench. Even sprung for a nice pair of fully extended drawer slides. But then Home Depot had a sale on a nice roll around tool box with a tool chest on top. 9 drawer total between the two, for 150 bucks. Couldn't pass it up even though I really didn't need it. I then moved my bits to one of those drawers, so all my small woodworking tools could be under lock and key. Now the nice drawer, with fully extended slides, is basically a junk drawer.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm still just getting started with the routing thing but have managed to work my way up to 22 bits. I like the look of some of the 'high tech' joinery bit kits I have seen here and there but need to get better at using the ones I have before investing more cash in ones I'm not ready to use yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts