Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,315 Posts
hello world.
im a self confessed routerholic.
i own 9 hand held routers, 1 table router and 7 cnc routers.
my expertise is electronics and programming which i mix into a lot of my products.
im uk based.
That's a good start. LOL! I have two handheld and one CNC so I'm way behind. We do like photos and seeing what folks produce, so show us your shop, tools, projects whenever you're ready.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
anything over 7 is considered hoarding (that's why I only have six).
and welcome to the forum !! we like to see members here from all over the world.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I thought I was addicted, but now I feel like a beginner. Only 3 CNCs but they all hold handheld routers. One spare Dewalt for the Probotix. One spare Bosch for my old Shark CNC. 8 trim routers with 2 being cordless and the rest with cords. 2 active in router tables. My original now aged but still running Skil, and an ancient craftsman that also sits unused and operational status unknown in my original self built plywood router table. One more big baby in a drawer with all my big diameter bits. 18 I think. Latest is my second Milwaukee brushless cordless trim router.
4D

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts
G'day and welcome to the forum, @battwell

As a router beginner, I only have 6 ( 2x Triton, 2 x Makita, 2 x cheapies).

Not likely to get into CNC...

·
Official Greeter
19,972 Posts
Hello, @kingdomheart , welcome to the forum.
Would you like to tell us a bit about your hobby?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Took my Milwaukee cordless trim router to work today (I teach furniture design to college students) to help a student with her project. The fab lab I teach in has several routers, but only two corded trim routers that have been in constant use by students to chamfer or round over sharp edges of their projects. The staff and students helpers all stopped by to have a look and most left wondering out loud why the fab lab didn't have any of them. We have several Milwaukee tools and batteries already. So despite having likely 2-dozen routers of different brands and age there are times when there just aren't enough, and the lust for new tech (cordless/brushless) routers is real. ;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
It really depends on what an how you use the routers. At some point routers may be of more value to you and in some cases no value. I got routers doing nothing , but as some quality of router decreases and prices climb, just sitting is okay.

Better to have than flipping a wallet for a new one..

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As I've been a woodworker for the last 50 years, and the first tool gift I got from my parents was a router, I know the value of them is hidden in the bits they can spin. Secondly changing such bits in a router varies from nearly impossible to "That was easy!". So the reason I have 7 relatively new trim routers is to keep the most common bits I use each in a dedicated router so I don't have to always change bits. One with a chamfer bit, three with different sized roundover bits, a 1/4" diameter spiral flush trim bit in one, a 1/8" end mill in one, and the last empty and ready for whatever bit I may want to use that isn't already in a router.
5 of these are Performax brand and were $39 or so at Menards when on sale. Very hard to resist that price even knowing they are cheaply made and have a few (fixable) flaws. And a plus is that they are essentially Makita trim routers as all the Makita accessories fit them. The last two are Milwaukee brand brushless cordless beauties. I thought I had a Bosch trim router with several bases but I can't seem to locate it right now. I may have left it at work.

And among the router bases for the trim routers are a tilt base and an offset chuck base. I've used the tilt base a few times, but has anyone found a great use for the offset chuck base?

4D

·
Premium Member
Retired Moderator
70 Posts
As I've been a woodworker for the last 50 years, and the first tool gift I got from my parents was a router, I know the value of them is hidden in the bits they can spin. Secondly changing such bits in a router varies from nearly impossible to "That was easy!". So the reason I have 7 relatively new trim routers is to keep the most common bits I use each in a dedicated router so I don't have to always change bits. One with a chamfer bit, three with different sized roundover bits, a 1/4" diameter spiral flush trim bit in one, a 1/8" end mill in one, and the last empty and ready for whatever bit I may want to use that isn't already in a router.
5 of these are Performax brand and were $39 or so at Menards when on sale. Very hard to resist that price even knowing they are cheaply made and have a few (fixable) flaws. And a plus is that they are essentially Makita trim routers as all the Makita accessories fit them. The last two are Milwaukee brand brushless cordless beauties. I thought I had a Bosch trim router with several bases but I can't seem to locate it right now. I may have left it at work.

And among the router bases for the trim routers are a tilt base and an offset chuck base. I've used the tilt base a few times, but has anyone found a great use for the offset chuck base?

4D
I think I have used my offset to get back into a corner but it has been a while. One router I have I don't use much at all is a laminate seaming router. I sure used it when building nursing stations for hospitals though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.