Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm making Shaker cabinet doors. The wood is maple, the router is a 2-1/4 hp DeWalt fixed base, mounted under a table saw wing.

I'm new to using these tongue and groove bits (these are brand new and 1/2" shank), so I am wondering if I need to make multiple passes when cutting the tongues, or is it better to try to cut the tongue in one pass?

As always, any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
21,688 Posts
And don't forget to have all pieces face down. and make a couple of test pieces to make sure the top surface lines up, or you'll have to do a ton of sanding. Also, sweep away all sawdust between pieces and use strong dust collection. Sawdust buildup underneath the workpiece will cause a slight mismatch in height.

Don't bother asking how I know this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Jack, for more info. I am making progress, having built a proper fence and now a coping (?) sled that is somewhat similar to the one in the photo that you posted.

I am now successfully creating the tongue in one pass, although I did have some chattering noise. Dewalt 614 router speed control was set at 3. I moved it up to 4, but I am unsure of whether it is the speed of the router, my feed speed or whether the base of the sled is lifting slightly. The work is clamped down, as in your photo. I will try a featherboard over the sled/piece as well to see if that eliminates the issue. No burn marks so far...

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jack, All,
Putting a feather board over the work did help with the chattering. I also found a piece of HDPE (cutting board material) and made a slightly longer sled. That helped keep the work properly registered.

Now I need to revisit the change in the speed setting. Moving the router to 4 maybe too aggressive. I’m getting a little smoke and slight burning where the tongue meets the body. I’ll slow it back down to see how it helps.

All of this is far from second nature to a guy that has the patience of a ferret on a triple espresso :)

Thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts