Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Administrator
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How organized is your workshop?

Are you one of those people who has a place for everything and everything in its place?

Or, does your work area usually look like a hurricane hit it? (I bet you still know where everything is!)

Share pictures if you would like to do so! :grin:

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Well mines getting better since I joined as I have gotten some great ideas from the members here (a lot of sarcasm regarding insulation too . I realize it's tough love though :) )
. I am making every effort to get it very organized so it's easy to access tools . Lots of work ahead though but it's a work in progress.
My next mission is to build drawers underneith my work bench . I am going to dedicate a drawer to certain things so that I can always find them . I want a drawer dedicated to calibration tools like my dial gauge and my digital calipers etc . Under that one I want a drawer for all things soldering , next hot glue guns and glue sticks and so on .

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've seen a picture. He's telling the truth.

Mine is always a work in progress. It starts to get close to being good and then I stop cleaning and organizing and it goes downhill again until I have to do something about it again. I've been cleaning for the last couple of days so it's as close to picture snapping time as it ever gets.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
90 Posts

Are you one of those people who has a place for everything and everything in its place?

Or, does your work area usually look like a hurricane hit it? (I bet you still know where everything is!)

Share pictures if you would like to do so! :grin:
I know when to tidy because my wife asks 'Would you like some help to tidy the shed?' which is a pretty polite way of putting it! By the way I love the look of those layout squares like the one in your illustration. But you never see them in the UK. If anyone can suggest a source I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know when to tidy because my wife asks 'Would you like some help to tidy the shed?' which is a pretty polite way of putting it! By the way I love the look of those layout squares like the one in your illustration. But you never see them in the UK. If anyone can suggest a source I'd be grateful.
John, that layout square is called a speed square. I can't tell from the pic what brand that is, but the best one (imo) is the Swanson speed square which has been made by Swanson since 1925 in the US. I do believe that Swanson makes a metric speed square as well if that would work better for you in the UK. Beware of cheap imitations.
Hank

·
Registered
90 Posts
John, that layout square is called a speed square. I can't tell from the pic what brand that is, but the best one (imo) is the Swanson speed square which has been made by Swanson since 1925 in the US. I do believe that Swanson makes a metric speed square as well if that would work better for you in the UK. Beware of cheap imitations.
Hank
Thanks for the lead. Yes it was the cheap imitation I wanted to avoid (for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hank
second the Swanson...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Every time I get it cleaned up and organized, my bad habit of just laying something down on my way from the truck to the house makes for an ongoing accumulation of clutter on the workbench. Maybe I should drag the garage out into the back yard.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket
Share pictures if you would like to do so!

Cricket! I really dont have a shop. But the place where I put the tools is far from organized. I'm on the way to build a tool chest with drawers.
Sid.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is an old saying "a cluttered desk means a cluttered mind" which can be countered with "a cluttered shop means someone has been working." Every time my wife came in and "cleaned up" my shop (bless her heart) I couldn't find anything for a week. (can you tell she doesn't read this blog). My theory is don't let it get so cluttered that it becomes a safety hazard but a little sawdust on that concrete floor will save the working end of that edge tool that you will eventually drop.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I usually clean mine up when I finish a project, unless it's material intensive... Then I clean up at the end of the day....
Tripping over scraps and things isn't pleasant.... And yes, I keep tools put away.....
!...but, but, but ;)
(Nice shop!!)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
In my old shop, 24x40 slab, fully insulated, skylights and 3 overhead doors, the floor was carpeted and at the end of the day it was vacuumed with a Kerby vacuum. Everything had it's place and was put away after each use. I had 2 storage sheds for wood and waiting projects.

My new shop is 16x24, 2 story on skids and way too crowded. About 85% of the tools are on rollers and are down stairs. I have to move things around when I go from one end to the other end of the shop. I had to move things in the shop for storage that should have never been there and need time to go through and get rid of or move things to new locations. Wood and waiting projects are stored in the shop so they take up a lot of room. I have started organizing several times but something always comes up and I have to stop and work on projects or family things. I still need to finish painting the floor (maybe 10% left if that much) and insulate so I can work in the summer and winter. I think I need to get finish the project I have at the moment and not bid anymore jobs until I get things the way they should be for safety, ease of cleaning and good work flow.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
Even though my shop has a long way to go, the addition of shelves, cabinets, and drawers over that last few years has greatly helped get things organized. I do know that as I get more organized I work more efficiently and accurately. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you know right where a tool is instead of fumbling around looking for it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts