Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to add bed slats to a queen size wood bed frame per the new mattress's manufacturer's requirements. The old box spring/foundation did not require this amount of support. The manufacturer requires 5 slats. I could rest the slats on the wood ledges that are attached to the side rails but I would like the top of the slats to be level with the top of the ledges in order not to raise the mattress height. The slat length will be 58 inches and according to the sagulator a 2 X 4 with the 3 1/2" side facing up should be ok. The ledges are 1" wide and 1 1/2" tall. I'm thinking either 3" metal angle braces into the edges of the 2 X 4 and the ledge OR toe screws through the side of the 2 X 4 and into the ledge.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
add ''buckets'' to the face of the ledgers...
a fence bracket laid over on it's side would make for a very strong connection...
''Z'' metal would work...

take the short cut..
go to your favorite big box and go to the framing connector/brackets/hardware section and look at the display...
you'll see just what it will take to get where you want to be..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Couple of years ago I did something similar.

All I used was 1 x 6's...about 10 of them. Sat them right on the existing side supports.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Couple of years ago I did something similar.

All I used was 1 x 6's...about 10 of them. Sat them right on the existing side supports.
the OP doesn't want the 1½'' gain in height...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be a good way to do it except that this would add 3/4" to the height of the mattress which unfortunately would be too much. Had to get a short foundation as the bed owner is short. So, I'm trying to add the slats so they are level with the side rail ledges.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Jim you're talking about removing the ledge and going with 2 x 4 where as Keith is talking about keeping the ledge and going with 1 x 6. There is no difference in height. You don't need 2 x 4 to support the weight. I'm 320 lbs and a few extra 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 is good enough. I did screw the slats to the ledgers just for good measure though.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim you're talking about removing the ledge and going with 2 x 4 where as Keith is talking about keeping the ledge and going with 1 x 6. There is no difference in height. You don't need 2 x 4 to support the weight. I'm 320 lbs and a few extra 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 is good enough. I did screw the slats to the ledgers just for good measure though.
I don't want to remove the ledge. I want the top of the slats to be level with the top of the ledges. I took Stick's suggestion and found some Simpson metal supports for 2 X 4's that will do the trick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think Jim was meaning to use the 2 x 4 as a central support down the center of the bed base, which is what I have just done on a recent project. I used an appropriately sized joist hanger at each end cut to suit with the narrow side up to provide better support to the 1 x 4 cross slats.

Will see if I can up load a pic later.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
add ''buckets'' to the face of the ledgers...
a fence bracket laid over on it's side would make for a very strong connection...
''Z'' metal would work...

take the short cut..
go to your favorite big box and go to the framing connector/brackets/hardware section and look at the display...
you'll see just what it will take to get where you want to be..
Just got back from HD and they had Simpson brackets that will work. Thank You. I had gone to a HD last week but it's smaller than the HD I went to today and the stock doesn't seem to be as extensive.
Simpson FB24Z

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Jim was meaning to use the 2 x 4 as a central support down the center of the bed base, which is what I have just done on a recent project. I used an appropriately sized joist hanger at each end cut to suit with the narrow side up to provide better support to the 1 x 4 cross slats.

Will see if I can up load a pic later.
The mattress manufacturer requires just one support under the center slat that touches the floor. 2 X 4's will run side to side under the foundation (box spring). There can't be too much support.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yur welcome...

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you don't plan on moving the bed and frame assembly to many times you could always use 3/4" cabinet grade plywood with pocket holes drill every six inches along the sides to secure it to the slat rail. Leveling the plywood with the rail. I did this with my children's beds years ago they loved to jump up and down on the mattress's on their beds. Causing the wooded slats to break until I did the plywood upgrade. There are many ways to do what you want the possibilities are endless.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts