Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all..
I'm a newby who bought a used craftsman 315.174730 router which now won't run.
The trigger switch is no longer available, so I thought I would bypass it and use instead the master switch on the router stand.

However there are 5 wires (Black, white, red, yellow and violet) attached to the trigger switch and I can't get any readings that make sense on my voltmeter.

so... my question is:
Is the black wire the hot lead to the trigger switch and the white the neutral return? ... or...? (There are two red wires going to opposite ends of the trigger switch - wiring runs shown on pg 12 of the online manual).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roy

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Hello to all..
I'm a newby who bought a used craftsman 315.174730 router which now won't run.
The trigger switch is no longer available, so I thought I would bypass it and use instead the master switch on the router stand.

However there are 5 wires (Black, white, red, yellow and violet) attached to the trigger switch and I can't get any readings that make sense on my voltmeter.

so... my question is:
Is the black wire the hot lead to the trigger switch and the white the neutral return? ... or...? (There are two red wires going to opposite ends of the trigger switch - wiring runs shown on pg 12 of the online manual).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Roy
My one and only thought would be to throw it away and buy one that works.

Mike

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Roy.

How old is the router? Is it worth repairing or replacing?

I, personally, do not like to mess around with the electronics on tools....

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
:)
Roy, welcome to Router Forums, glad to have you join us, I'm positive the members of the community would be more than willing to answer any questions you have :)
World wide forum some times it takes a while for members to get back to you

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
On mine, 2 of the red wires feed a light in the base. The red wire coming from the motor is from a secondary winding in the motor to produce low voltage for the light. I would "think" that the black and white wires from the motor are what you would need to connect to, but DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK as this is only a guess. I did not have a yellow or violet wire on mine, so have no idea what direction to suggest for those. Perhaps further disassembly might be in order to determine where those wires go if you can't determine by testing.

Not sure if it's of any help, but there are pictures of mine here: -craftsman-router-manual-anyone.html

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Bypassing the main power switch will only work if the main power switch is the problem.
It may not be!

There is an interlock switch actuated by the spindle lock mechanism(It actually is still available! Cost $25-30 with S & H). Also as I recall the multi conductor wire to the handle was problematic as well.
Then there is also the variable speed control that can cause the same problem.

I would want to troubleshoot and find the actual problem before attempting repair. Jumpering things without an understanding of what you are doing usually doesn't end well!

Also do consider that is about a 30-35 year old, or so, tool. I think I would just replace the tool.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome......
Throw it away and start again seems good advise to me. Playing with power when one is unsure is not a good way to start. I'd invest in a later model and some reliability.

Cheers :happy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.