Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to enlarge a hole in thin metal? The hole is about 1 inch diameter and I need to enlarge it to 1 1/8 inch diameter. I was thinking about using a rasp or file. I had also thought about sandwiching the piece between 2 pieces of wood that have 1 1/8 holes in them so the waste part of the metal would be exposed and doing it on the drill press with a roto zip metal cutting bit.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harbor Freight is cheaper
I buy stuff from HF and some ain't half bad. One big surprise was their $99 (sale price) hardwood flooring nailer.....did my whole house with no jambs or misfires. HF high speed stuff is a little scary....an oscillating multi tool blade broke apart on me.....the tool wanted to oscillate but the blade didn't.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
On the job site there is a task that I enlarge a hole from 1/2" to 1" in 1/16" mild steel. I use the HF brand for the task. They have held up well. It will quickly cut sheet metal be careful or it will be too large.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the job site there is a task that I enlarge a hole from 1/2" to 1" in 1/16" mild steel. I use the HF brand for the task. They have held up well. It will quickly cut sheet metal be careful or it will be too large.
Weekend HF sale....just got their coupons. I am headed there. I'll pick up the bit.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
w/ all the HF traffic and money it sends back to china, I wonder which community business or American manufacturer will fold next...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Stick
Is the tool even made in the USA? Blame Obama not me. Why? The biggest cost is energy. China has cheap manpower. We have an abundance of energy here We have had Obama stepping on the pipeline for eight years. You want clean manufacturing get the infrastructure in place that makes sense for investment in facilities.
Where did china get all the machinery they use to make this junk? They bought a lot of it from closed US factories. Why did the factories close? It costs were to high. Cheap energy produced in the USA will return new investments stateside.
So please desist from guilt tripping those that buy at harbor freight

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
w/ all the HF traffic and money it sends back to china, I wonder which community business or American manufacturer will fold next...
Would like to buy tools made in the USA but can't always find them and the ones that are available can be quite expensive. I would love high quality USA made stuff but can't always afford to pay the price.
For years I wouldn't shop in Walmart because of their employment and product sourcing policies.....then I realized my job was outsourced.....most large companies do it and the global economy is a fact of life.
I don't like HD or Lowes....would rather shop the mom and pop hardware stores and lumber yards.
I wouldn't buy an imported car for a long time but the American car quality was pretty bad.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stick
Is the tool even made in the USA? Blame Obama not me. Why? The biggest cost is energy. China has cheap manpower. We have an abundance of energy here We have had Obama stepping on the pipeline for eight years. You want clean manufacturing get the infrastructure in place that makes sense for investment in facilities.
Where did china get all the machinery they use to make this junk? They bought a lot of it from closed US factories. Why did the factories close? It costs were to high. Cheap energy produced in the USA will return new investments stateside.
So please desist from guilt tripping those that buy at harbor freight
How about the labor costs here? When my computer job went overseas I asked what the cost difference was. I was told that the overseas cost was 1/3 of what it would cost to do the work here.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
don't shop from overseas...
support the community the best you can...
the community will support you..
the more that do this more it will snowball..

American products are out there...
just look...

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My businesses are entirely based on US Manufacturing. We tried and setup a plant in Shanghai, China because we were quoted some prices that were very low and we had a tremendous workload in the Western US - there are numerous ports on the Pacific Coast of the US and we thought it would work, but bottom line - it was more trouble than it was worth. Now, we're sticking strictly to US made. Freight costs can kill you in my business, so injection-molding near form assembly is also critical for my business.

Back to the subject at hand, I enlarge holes with tapered drift pins - like used by steel erectors to align bolt holes in steel members - these are available in a wide variety (I have an entire collection of them) of sizes. Put some emery cloth on the tapered part (use double back tape or glue) and bore until your heart is content, you will get there and your hole WILL BE CENTERED CORRECTLY if you're careful. If your drift pin is bigger than your drill chuck, you can use a hex wrench or a pipe wrench - it will just take a couple more minutes. Tapered bits and tapered reamers are also available in numerous size ranges.

I hope this helps!
Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
What Jim said. Not just the US; pretty much all of the Western Nations.
Once the trade barriers were removed the stampede was on; it started long before The Big Owe.
Companies up here (Canada) simply went under during the 1980's Recession (more like a Depression).
Domestic clothing manufacturers in Canada just folded.
But yeh, massive amounts of red tape and regulations are destroying our domestic manufacturing.
Greedy corporations aren't helping.

Not the best source, but convenient...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That HF version is what I used to make holes in beer kegs for homebrewing. Those kegs are stainless steel so they're pretty tough. The bit held up for all the holes I needed though by the last it was getting pretty tired. Thin steel will be quick and easy with one.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
been to Panama...
take note...
wake up...

Reactions: gjackson52

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
... "We have met the enemy and he is us" ... (Pogo, 1970)

We made our bed and now we have to lie in it...

(original reply deleted...much too long and lots of ranting and raving)

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
How about the labor costs here? When my computer job went overseas I asked what the cost difference was. I was told that the overseas cost was 1/3 of what it would cost to do the work here.
1/3 per hour... how many hours it takes the overseas worker to do the work you did in 1 hour is another question. The saving is often not as much as the bean-counters anticipate.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
... "We have met the enemy and he is us" ... (Pogo, 1970)

We made our bed and now we have to lie in it...

(original reply deleted...much too long and lots of ranting and raving)
time to change beds... has been for some time...

Reactions: gjackson52
1 - 20 of 35 Posts