Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to time I stumble to the question were to find good looking fastening equipment (dont even know the right word for it) like hindges are for doors and windows. Those small peaces that are placed betwene the leg and the tabletop. Any suggestions? Many thanks to all advises!!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
964 Posts
Esko,

In Canada we are lucky to have many options for hardware. Locally in Montreal we have Quincaillerie Richelieu Hardware witch sells a large variety of furniture hardware and in Ontario we have a retailer named Lee Valley who sells in smaller quantities. I hope this helps and hope you enjoy shopping for the shiny stuff.

Dan

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Depends on your definition of good looking. I once worked with a guy who continually bragged on his woodworking skills. Visited him once, and he showed me a small table he had built, and was very proud of. Turns out he had found a piece of plywood that he used for the top. It had been in the weather for quite awhile, was rough, and split, firewood at its best. Then he painted it with what looked like a bunch of different color paints all mixed together - sort of a dog poop brown. He thought is was great looking. Me, I was ashamed for him.

I think you have much better taste than him. I have seen regular hinges, that had been beaten with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Then painted black. Very inexpensive, and very close to an antique look. Could likely do the same and paint with brass paint. I have seen a lot of old, way old, furniture with handles, hinges, etc., painted the same color as the wood. I think all of these can look good, on appropriate pieces.

I suggest google. For various reasons. First, you can likely find pieces you like that are for sale. Second, I like to look at images, and get ideas on how to make, or remake, my own projects. I save 'every' picture I like, then go thru them later, and discard duplicates, ones I don't care for after all, repeat until I come up with something I like, or don't like any of it and start looking again. Added bonus, you can be looking for one thing, then come up with something entirely unrelated, sometimes usable somehow, or just entertaining. I come up with some of my best stuff that way.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stick there is no apron in my customers designe thats why a thougt the tabletop ought to be made of 40mm wood. So steel fastners are the only way to get the needed diagonal strenght.
She wants it cheap so I desided its pine. without branches so the paint Will hold as good as possible.
Thanks Dan Ill see what they offer. My problem in searching is ofcourse that I dont no the right word. "Table leg fastening iron" (havent tryed) doesnt sound right... =)
Your way of searching info in the net Joat is exactly the same how I do it but now I only need the right terminology to find them If they existe.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Your way of searching info in the net Joat is exactly the same how I do it but now I only need the right terminology to find them If they existe.
Yeah, good luck with that. One time I was searching information on making a specific type of toy, marbles rolling down troughs. Searched some every day for about 3 months before I found anything. I read an article that made me change one word in my search phrase. Immediately got more information in the next three days than I had ever thought existed. The only thing I can tell you is just keep changing your search phases, and words. But the good part is, you are very likely to find other interesting things along the way. I used to do a LOT of searching on-line for out of print, limited edition, books on various subjects. Took me six months to find one I was looking for, but I got quite good at searching. I don't know exactly what you are looking for either, but I'll see if I can come up with anything for you. Oh, before I forget, a lot of times I search google images instead of just searching sites, surprising what you can come up with sometimes, so you might want to try images, if you haven't already.

Interesting. I just used 'table top brace' as a search phrase, went to images, and the corner brace picture popped right up and got me to this page. https://woodworking.stackexchange.com/questions/2821/attaching-legs-to-a-table

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
search - table leg mounting hardware.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.