Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I start the router?

That is a simple question, so first, some background info.
I want to run the router and manually control the x,y and z position to mill a part. My plan is to set up the existing part ( a Polymer80 80% lower frame for a Glock 19) in it's jig and clamp it to a milling vise that I have. Then run the router with an end mill attached and slowly crank the x or y axis by hand to mill away the plastic parts as needed. I can use the z axis on the machine to raise or lower it as needed to make the next pass.

So, how do I start the motor running without a file being loaded? Or do In need to create an empty file?
Note: my milling vise looks similar to this one. https://www.amazon.com/WEN-413CV-Co...1&keywords=milling+vise&qid=1615591809&sr=8-5

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I have it figured out.

M03 Start spindle in CW direction
M05 Stop spindle

So, I should be able to home the machine, then move the router to the correct position and zero the z axis.
Then move it away from the workpiece, issue the M03 command to start the spindle.
Do my milling as needed.
Move the router away from the workpiece.
Issue the M05 command to stop the spindle.

I will try it tomorrow on scraps.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Better than manually turning the motors would be to enter xommands in the MDI, just like starting and stopping the spindle.
Just use G1 moves to do your cuts, or you can even manually jog the machine to make your cuts.
No sense turning the motors by hand when the machine will turn them for you.

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better than manually turning the motors would be to enter xommands in the MDI, just like starting and stopping the spindle.
Just use G1 moves to do your cuts, or you can even manually jog the machine to make your cuts.
No sense turning the motors by hand when the machine will turn them for you.
Thanks. I forgot about using the keyboard to jog the machine. Still have a few days before delivery, so I will learn as I go. :) It's been a while since I have run the machine, so I am kinda rusty.

·
Administrator
David
3,982 Posts
When I need to do something manually on the CNC, to treat it like a milling machine, I often use the MDI window.

A simple command can be like this:
G01 F100 X6.0 - this would simply move X six inches to the right (+) at whatever Y and Z settings you have (zero X first, of course and change/add settings to suit)

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts