Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flute and it needs a repair. I have routed a 3/8” groove & I need to fit a piece in it as perfect as I can. I will use an accent piece so I will not try to hide it. The piece would be 3/8”wide by 1/4” to 5/16” thick .
The main ? I have is how to cut the radius on the ends of tha groove..
u

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a flute and it needs a repair. I have routed a 3/8” groove & I need to fit a piece in it as perfect as I can. I will use an accent piece so I will not try to hide it. The piece would be 3/8”wide by 1/4” to 5/16” thick .
The main ? I have is how to cut the radius on the ends of tha groove.. View attachment 398002 u
I have asked this ? before... I didn’t quite follow the directions then but now I do have a picture...I am trying to take care of some problem flutes. Thanks a bunch guys

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Use a stick several inches long.
Round the end of the stick on a sander to make a perfect fit.
Glue the stick into the hole
Cut the remains of the stick off and sand to the original shape.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
How about using a round file or a 3/8" box core bit? Since this will be is so delicate trying to get a spinning bit into a small groove I would go with the file.

·
Registered
Paul
2,008 Posts
I think the piece is too small to route easily. You'd probably get tear-out even if you did. Sanding is probably the easiest way as Sunnybob suggested.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about using a round file or a 3/8" box core bit? Since this will be is so delicate trying to get a spinning bit into a small groove I would go with the file.
Sounds good on the file..Just have to take my time and make it fit. Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes have to do it this way...just have to get the length right cause I have to do the same thing on both ends so it will will fit in the groove...Sandpaper,a file and a dowel and a bit of luck...Just taking my time should work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a WAG here, make a template use an inlay bushing and bit, to cut out the accent piece. It would probably take a couple tries to get the fit perfect.
Or maybe sweet talk somebody with a CNC to cut them.
Ill have to check on the inlay bushing and bit...sounds interesting.....Surely try it if I can.....Dont know a CNC guy Thanks!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I like TenGees jig... Placed on a slightly angled disk sanding table, so the plug can be slightly angled in thickness to jamb it into the flute opening when glued in. Kind of like an angled cork.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like TenGees jig... Placed on a slightly angled disk sanding table, so the plug can be slightly angled in thickness to jamb it into the flute opening when glued in. Kind of like an angled cork.
Yes ....good idea..Hope to get to this in next day or so. Thanks

·
Registered
Paul
2,008 Posts
If you try that jig, sneak up on the job. Start further away and bit by bit move it closer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I can try it tomorrow....Had Dr. apptmnt today....took up most my day ...with a couple of errands in there too.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I have a belt sander is all so Ill have to rig up something simple but good idea!!
I'd do this with sandpaper on a flat piece of wood so you can move the piece over the sandpaper, not the other way around. I agree, cut the plug a little large. You know you have a specific width, length and half circle ends, so just cut the plug for the width plus a little bit extra so you can sand it to fit. Your glue is going to seal this completely. Interesting project, hope you'll show us a picture of the finished flute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts