Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made this for a customer in central PA. It's 18" in diameter with 4 coats of spar front and back. He wants to put it on his front door, which is metal, and is thinking magnets. Do they make magnets with screws for attaching? Or do you great minds have a better idea? All suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Magnets with holes. Do a quick search for rare earth magnets with holes, or magnets with holes. Then you makes your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Good looking sign, John!

Is the door clad in a Ferrous metal? If not then magnets won't work.

David
That's when you affix a hook on the door, and just hang it. That or duct tape.
Bet construction adhesive would work.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I've never seen a metal clad door other than steel, not counting brushed ss.
Not saying someone somewhere doesn't make one but it'd be mighty rare.
Nothing to recommend Aluminum over steel other than being rustproof.
aluminum clad is common here...

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,359 Posts
I don't understand? do you mean NON-ferrous?
If it is a steel clad ,magnets should work embed into the back of the plaque? But thru bolt into an insert might be better anyway.
Herb
Nope. Meant it just as I said, Herb. If it's not clad in a ferrous metal then magnets won't work.

David

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Put enough magnets on the back and it will be very difficult to remove. cut a few stopped grooves, or use round magnets and a forstner bit. Get rid of any roundover on the backside so it's difficult to get a grip. 8-10 strong magnets and it isn't going to be easily moved. You might want to cut a small tab out of the edge so if they move, they can pry it off. Don't demagnitize your credit or debit cards.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Lee Valley has what you want for magnets: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...c/58750-rare-earth-magnet-cup-and-washer-sets I've used these to mount brackets on a steel door so I could hang a curtain over the window in it. You drill a hole for the cup and then attach it with a screw. The cups magnify the attraction of the magnets. Once the magnet goes in the cup there is no way to remove it short of digging the cup and screw out of the plaque so you can push on the screw to move the magnet out. The largest magnets are very powerful and you have to be careful with them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.