Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it is a rather stupid question but....

After reading a few threads about work bench's and assembly tables I think of my work bench and doubt I am using the space it takes up to its full potential. Just recently I have cleared and keep clean my work bench and realize that I use it some but end up using another table or 2 for a lot of the work. The work bench has a vise, is on wheels, is in arms reach of all hand tools and a few often used hand held power tools. I guess part of the reason for using other tables is that for years the work bench was cluttered and it was easier to go to another table or I needed a bigger table to work on. I have thought about building a little bit bigger work bench but if I still use another table all I have done is waisted a weekend, money and valuable shop space.

So... How do you use your work bench?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My bench has 2 vises and dog holes. I've been clamping wood to It, trying to teach myself hand planing and sharpening from YouTube videos.

It has a tool well that I'm enjoying. I tried putting it on castors, I think I had the wrong style for what I needed. There was no way I could plane on the bench. Castors came off.

I've got a little Pegasus table that I've been make shifting a outfeed table put of. Or clamping my glass sheet sharpening station. Or my kreg jig.

I'm making my own hold down clamps, well trying to right now. For the bench dogs.

I am really trying to get into the habit of putting my tools back. The clutter sets in after just a few mini trips to the shop!

·
Registered
232 Posts
My bench is the most important and used tool in my shop. It gets used in every project, from start to finish. I try very hard to keep it uncluttered, it is the one flat surface in the shop that doesn't accumulate "stuff".

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My mistake when I built my workbench was not thinking it out well on how it would likely be used. and then of course it was the 1st thing I built for the shop so maybe sooner then it should have been. That workbench has adjustable height, wheels for moving it around, and an end vise as well as a side mounted vise. Truth be told if I had the room I'd likely have 2 or 3 workbenches. Although I have 2 vises on my bench neither is all that great for hand planning. I did cut dog holes in both directions although only a single row where 2 rows would have proved more convenient. I did build a large outfeed table for the table saw and do most of my assembling on that table which is fine except it limits the use of the table saw should I need to make a cut while dry fitting a larger project.

If you have the room consider more than 1 work bench but if you don't make the one you build as multi functional as possible and include storage underneath if possible.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake when I built my workbench was not thinking it out well on how it would likely be used. and then of course it was the 1st thing I built for the shop.....
#ME-TOO.lol

I guess my thing about the work bench is when I see these well built, large ones with all the bells and whistles sitting in the middle of a large (er) shop and it being used to work on and then used to assemble the project. Then I look at mine up against the wall which I would venture to guess that a large percentage of hobby wood workers have theirs up to a wall due to lack of space. It would be nice to have the room and the extravagant work bench but.... but the saying "Take What You Goy And Make It Work" comes in to play.

For me now it's work what you can on the bench and pull out a table for the rest... if need be take it outside. Attached is a pic of my shop which I finally have clean, organized and a little more space by removing 2 small tables. One held the Miter saw and the other had the Dovetail Jig on top. I was able to rid the 2 tables by putting the Router table on the Table saw extension wing and the miter saw in a station.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts