Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for letting me join the forum. I consider myself more handy than an expert (or even amateur) woodworker. Over the years, I've dabbled with making pens, etc. However, I haven't invested in the tools to get more serious. So, I just bought a Bosch 1617EVSPK router. I am working on a router table. My next acquisition is probably a portable table saw. I've been looking at the Porter Cable PCB222TS and the Ryobi RTS31. The main reasons are that both have a max rip capacity over 24" and both can accept a small stacked dado blade set. I really like the Dewalt DWE7480, but it doesn't allow / recommend using a dado blade.

So, after that lengthy setup - the router forum question... Since I have a router, is there any reason that I need a dado blade capability on the table saw? Are there any scenarios where a table saw could cut the dado, but a router couldn't?

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for letting me join the forum. I consider myself more handy than an expert (or even amateur) woodworker. Over the years, I've dabbled with making pens, etc. However, I haven't invested in the tools to get more serious. So, I just bought a Bosch 1617EVSPK router. I am working on a router table. My next acquisition is probably a portable table saw. I've been looking at the Porter Cable PCB222TS and the Ryobi RTS31. The main reasons are that both have a max rip capacity over 24" and both can accept a small stacked dado blade set. I really like the Dewalt DWE7480, but it doesn't allow / recommend using a dado blade.

So, after that lengthy setup - the router forum question... Since I have a router, is there any reason that I need a dado blade capability on the table saw? Are there any scenarios where a table saw could cut the dado, but a router couldn't?

Any input is appreciated!
By all means get the table saw that will accept a stacked dado. Often it's easer to cut a dado on the table saw. For example, cutting a dado for a shelf in the middle of a 48" long board. Sure it can be done with a router and an edge guide Just easier on a table saw. For those times you have a dado that is not a common size; with a router you have to make two passes. On the table saw the stacked dado can be fined tuned to make an acceptable cut in one pass. (if the dado is less than the max width of the stacked dado.) You are going to buy a table saw anyway, so don't limit yourself.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,526 Posts
I spent big bucks on a dado blade for my TS and I think it's indispensable . Couldn't imagine farting around with a router making 3/4" straight grooves in most scenarios? Each to his own though as I suspect there will come a time when you want to use a router , but for the most part , dado .just my 2cents

Btw welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
John
6,944 Posts
:)
Victor, welcome to Router Forums, glad to have you join us, I'm positive the members of the community would be more than willing to answer any questions you have :)

Buy the dado blade,

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,526 Posts
Victor , seeing as your from Houston I thought you might be able to relate .
This is some of my photoshop talent , not that I'm very good yet .
This was my TransAm up until last summer as I had found out if your garage is 22 by 26 , you either have a place for a classic car , or a wood shop .not both :(

·
Super Moderator
5,802 Posts
Welcome aboard. You're either close to me or at least an hour away. :)

I use a dado to cut rabbets and dados in cabinet members. Quick and easy. Saves a lot of time if you are doing several pieces. 10 cabinets= 20 sides to make three cuts each.

There are times when using your router hand held will work out well especially if you have a zero clearance jig such as the one The Wood Whisperer has on You Tube. Check it out.
Mike

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your probably going to need the dado blade before you need to cut them with the router. When I was young and poor. I bought tools as I needed them. Pick a project access what is required and dive in.

There are times when you cut a slot or dado with the router and find its cut is wider than the plywood going in it. The dado blade can adjust to fit the material thickness.

BTW there are more ways to use a router and build fixtures for it than grains of sand on the beach.

Welcome

Al

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Hi Victor, firstly, welcome to the forum, each has their own preference, and there is no wrong way.

But, as an example, I bought a 8" dado set some time ago and have never used it.....:sad:

With a hand held router and jig, I can cut any width dado that I am likely to need up to now.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum Victor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dado saws are not readily available here in the UK . If I wanted to put a dado in a large board I would use a rail (Festool , Makita etc.) , Router and guide rail adapter.

Welcome to the Forum btw.

·
Registered
786 Posts
welcome aboard.....enjoy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Victor and welcome.
Cutting dados with a router is still my preferred method but I have used both. The only advantage I can see in using the dado blade is that they come with shims so you can get finer adjustments to the width of repeatable cuts.
Many of my friends are professional cabinetmakers and I don't know of any of them that use a dado blade.
Hope this helps
Allan

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If i was only going to make do with one method or the other, it would be the router and jig for dados and grooves.

That said--my TS accepts a dado stack and i probably use it more than the router. In my case the TS top is kept clear and ready, while most other flat surfaces usually have to be cleaned up to work on--so that tilts me toward the TS more than a "neat freak" might be!! For a few years, i used my radial arm saw for most dados. If it wasn't for the way a dado stack looks coming right at me above the workpiece, that would still be my preference. It was easy to work with, but it sure didn't feel safe!!

All things equal, if i were buying a table saw i'd not want to buy it with the limitation of not being able to use a dado stack.

earl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts