Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope y'all are well. I've read plenty of the posts here and decided it was time to join because I'm getting curious about more specifics. I'm an artist and stay-at-home dad in Central Texas. I'm working towards perfecting mother of pearl inlay in burnt wood. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum,Stuart

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Hi Stuart, I'm thinking that's some pretty specific technique. I think Stick 486, has done some pretty fancy inlay work. I think someone last year posted something on wood burning. Have you tried looking up the topic on YouTube? Or perhaps the maker of the wood burning gear could be helpful, perhaps their customer service department can help. Finally, although I'm just fiddling with it now, I recently bought a Veritas router plane, plus their inlay kit. The plane is really good for accurately hollowing out the recess for the inlays, and the extra kit may help with cutting out the parts. Here's a picture of the plane.

The picture is of the body of the plane, the other is the attachmnt for inlays. Utilitarian gear with an elegant look.

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Stuart! We'd love to see some of your projects. I've done MOP, Abalone, and wood inlay on guitars and it's fun but often tedious work. What tools are you using?

David

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Veritas also has a miniature router plane. Just a couple of inches wide that will give you great control of the depth of your inlay. Veritas® Miniature Router Plane - Lee Valley Tools $ 41.

I'm suggesting this and the larger model as an alternative to using a router. As long as your surface starts out flat, a router plane will give you great control. Lay out the opening you want, then cut the outside about the depth you want. Set the hand router plane to cut to that depth and work it through the cut out pattern. For any small pattern, it should be a lot easier than trying to use a router. That's why I keep popping up with plane suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.