Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am too many things to make this short. Cattleman, horseman, farmer (kind of), chemical engineer, fly fisherman, woodworker, CNC intermediate etc. I have a few machines that I have picked up here and there, but I prefer hand work.

I enjoy building things to build things. I have built a few hand planes like a wooden jointer, 55 deg wooden coffin smoother, double dovetail infill shoulder plane and three or four bow saws. When not doing that, I am currently in a kick of building arts and crafts replicas. The main thing is that I do not build the same thing twice. This little idiosyncrasy means that I have to play little mental games when it comes to building dining chairs.

What has driven much of my woodwork is picking up volumes of wood at auctions. Like 250 bd ft of quarter sawn white oak for 30 cents a board ft or 5/4x16 cherry for $1 a board ft. Then I haul it home and try to build things from it. The fun thing about this is that you get some skills for working with certain woods. I can safely say that because you can work cherry does not mean that you can work white oak as well.

People have suggested that I do this as a business, but doing that might require building the same thing twice or it could involve real work.

Glad to be here. Hopefully I can be of some help now and again.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Welcome to the forum, would love to see some of your work

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quick addition to the woodshop, so I can keep the Bluetick Coonhound in the shop with me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are some in progress pics of the arts and crafts stuff, but then you'd see that I don't run one if those neat woodshops. :)o_O

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might add that the coffin smoother was the result of a CNC router usage. The throat was milled with the CNC by milling two halves long with a dowel positioning holes. Then the two halves were glued together. I left enough material to remove for hand fitting the throat and final tapering near the mouth to accommodate the wedge ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts