Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can visualise what that template will produce and how it will work, it's a pity some pieces are damaged but you could probably get them repaired, depending on the size it's a template for either drawer fronts or doors, possibly both if big enough, it should give a raised panel outline, edges can be to any specification, eg roundover or bevelled, the size of the raised panel will depend on the guide plate or bearing guide in the router, the initial cut will be like "levelling" the piece, further decoration is up to the user

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm from the UK and it resembles a variable jig guide made by a UK company called Trend, however the Trend guide does not have corner pieces like that, their guide is completely flat on top, depending on the radius of the curve, which I'll presume are removable and interchangeable with others then it's probably an adjustable template guide for round cornered squares or rectangles, by interchangeable I mean they can be replaced by larger or smaller pieces

·
Registered
11 Posts
Without the little corner pieces, it would probably come in handy for making router table holes. My mom had kitchen cabinets with veneered particle board doors. They had a routed design like in the pic. The design was painted black and kinda tinted along its edges. They looked quite nice considering the material used. I wonder if that rig was for something like that.
View attachment 402049
My mistake, I hadn't noticed the internal corner pieces, however they do appear to be removable, it also appears that as in my previous post on this subject that the external corner pieces can be moved and replaced as required

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems to me that the bigger curves are just to allow for the baseplate of the router to get by. A bushing or bearing would ride on the interior of the adjustable rectangle but the baseplate would ride on the bars. The little corner inserts could make a shape like the drawing I posted. The thumbscrews in the large curves are the locks.
I see where you're coming from on the internal corners, I'd also say that the external ones could give a different shape depending on the size of the router baseplate, from the photos shown it also appears that the outside corners can be adjusted, any basic rectangle/square template will give you the shape with rounded corners, but utilising the external corners shown would allow some adjustment in the corner radius, unless the external shapes are just there as reinforcement and for no other purpose, thanks TenGees your idea is food for thought, I'm off to work at the Edinburgh Fringe soon so probably will not be able to comment or view a lot of things on the forum

1 - 4 of 4 Posts