Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have actually been a member of routerforums for almost a year but I do not think I have really introduced myself. This forum is usually (almost always) a very warm and supportive place where there can be a free exchange of ideas.

For all the time I have worked with wood, except for one 9 month period, I have enjoyed it very much. My day job emphasizes questioning and encouraging others to question the "orthodox" thought and to examine conclusions from the work of ohters in a skeptical but not cynical way.

If you pursue my previous screen name th-alton you will learn that I am a partial paraplegic confined to a wheelchair and have to adapt in many ways. I am still trying to build a suitable router table using the Oak Park table top.

I do have a question. Right now I own a power drill, a Makita 3612c router, a Jorgenson hand powered miter saw (the setting for 90° is not 90°, all the other settings seem to be off by a degree or two). Although my spouse refuses to accept that I believe it, I am on a budget. If I were to purchase one and only one power saw, am I better off with a miter saw, a table saw or a circular saw? My prejudice is towards a circular saw that I could use much the way a router can be used, as either hand-held or table mounted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi mftha

Because you are a partial paraplegic I would recommend a radio arm saw ,and you are confined to a wheelchair ,it will do it all for you and you can get it low to the ground so you can use it in a safe way.
Many of them come with a base cabinet but you make your own so you can get the chair under it unlike a table saw. :)
Plus you can do it all with one hand and a hold down clamp for the sock, many find ripping hard to do on the RAS but it's easy and alot safer than the table saw if it's done right.
The guard holds the stock down with spring steel the norm ,the kick back holds the stock from kicking out if you take your hands off it and keeps it from shooting across the shop.
They make many add on items for the RAW that hold the stock and some that move the stock for you when you rip with it.
Most will cut up to 25" wide in the rip mode and cross cut 16" wide.

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi mftha
Just one more note on the RAS, Find one that has all the controls right up front some come with the locks on the back/top side that would make it hard for you to get to.

I did see one made by Sears that was like that I don't recall the model number but all the controls are right up front....so to speak :)

Bj :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.