Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ... "Just find something you like to do, and do it!"

I have been in the deepest frump for the past 18 months or longer. I have been trying to climb out of it, but the motivation just isn't there. I have two home hobby shops full of machines and tools, but no desire to get out there to use them. I swear there must be a BIG spider web spun across the entry doors ... the spiders are thinking, "When that fat guy walks in next time, we've got him!"

I am 63 now. Not "old" yet, but the world sure isn't what I thought it would be at this age. I have added a few things to my shops, in the hopes of getting excited again about working out there. I recently added a DeWalt planer, a Grizzly 20" helical planer, and a 48" 12 ga. sheet metal finger brake from Grizzly, as well as a big new dust collector, a small HFT lathe, and other things.

I don't have that friend who stops by the shop. I normally work alone. Those red oak church pews are calling me, but I never seem to get the energy to mess with them. I have lots of material, a CNC router table and a CNC plasma table, etc. I recently acquired a nice powder coating machine, but now I have to buy (or build) an oven and a spray booth.

I spend a lot of time flipping though my "Eye Candy Store" (PINTEREST.COM) for ideas. People are so creative! I should probably just pick SOMETHING and say, "I'm going to build THAT today!" I even have a TIG welder on order through Northern Tools, but just like everything else, "Delivery is delayed because of COVID!" I swear, it has become the universal excuse for poor customer service, poor job performance, and a glaring lack of intelligence.

Today is another day. I'm going to go grab some breakfast, and see if I can force myself to walk into the shops and stay there for a few hours, if only to sort things and clean up a bit. I do have some big projects I want to accomplish this year. MAYBE 2022 will be better.

Joe

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,244 Posts
I've been in a similar funk for the past two years. Some of it is due to medical issues of both my wife and me. I seem to spend excessive time driving to and from doctor's offices. It's easy to tell yourself there isn't really time to do anything because the day will be interrupted.

The funk is also the product of inertia. It seems like it will take too much effort to complete a project. Not that I don't have projects. I have a sketchbook full of ideas lying fallow on the pages.

But I think there is a solution. I was recently asked, "How do you write a book?" (I've written three.) The surprising answer that slipped off my tongue was, "Just Start."

It was an epiphany for me. "Just Start" has become my new motto. I don't have to think through a project (like cleaning my shop that has become overly cluttered); I just need to Start and let nature take its course.

No self-imposed deadlines for completion, no angst about moving towards a finish. All I have to do is Start, and things will naturally gravitate towards completion.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
I think there are a lot of us in that condition these days. Health issues for me, all linked to the cancer cure a decade ago. Turns out there are long term effects of chemo and radiation. And we've all been locked down. My doc said don't get sick because if I have another episode of pneumonia, I won't survive.

My daughter now runs my consulting business because I lost my voice, and she's been in a frump as well. However, writing is a strong baseline skill, and I've taken it up again, and it's been nice feeling like I've done something every day. I write copy for her marketing, and long entries on facebook. Used to have letters to the editor published all the time, but I'm tired of politics, and the lines are drawn and people are entrenched, so fooey on them all.

My brother has written several novels (he's a retired rocket scientist--really) but I like writing nonfiction. Journalism was my trade for a long time, and yesterday I discovered that the guy who started as a reporter the same day I did, has been dead for 7 years. Wrote a nice piece about him on face book. So I'm reminded that life is short, and that Oliver's admonition applies. So I guess I'll just start.

·
Registered
Steve
1,964 Posts
Thank you guys for sharing. Hi my name is Steve and I'm in a frump.
I know there's a few projects my wife would like, and I have a few things I would like to try just for fun and experience. But getting started is hard. The virus lockdowns have been a partial contributor, so has moving house late last year (and consequently sorting everything out again), then Christmas, and it feels like tackling anything is a mountain rather than a molehill.
I think I need to apply the "Just Start"™ method just to do something in the garage to break the inertia. It helps to know I'm not the only one though, so I appreciate the postings.
I think no deadlines, or even anything I have to have done will help free me up, although I do like to pick a project to have a "motivator", so we shall see. It might be as simple as breaking it down to smaller pieces.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It sounds like clinical depression and there is medication for that. I suffer myself and sometimes find it hard to get motivated.

I love motor racing and have often headed to an event only to get half way and then decide I am not really interested and turn around and go home.

Once I get started on a project though I seem to forget the depression and surprise my self what I have achieved. How about asking around if there is anyone who would like to learn from you how to use some of the equipment you have. I am sure there is are folks who have a project but little skill and few tools who would love a mentor to get them started.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about asking around if there is anyone who would like to learn from you how to use some of the equipment you have. I am sure there is are folks who have a project but little skill and few tools who would love a mentor to get them started.
I do like the idea, but with this covid bogeyman and all ... people are AFRAID to get too close to each other. My own cousin in Florida is 82. She got the jabs, and I have not. so she said, "I guess we will never be able to see each other again, since you won't get the vaccines..."

This thread is NOT about the jabs, but it does address the FEAR that so many people have in this mass hysteria about what is essentially the common cold, or the common flu. No one is going to want to come into my shop with this unclean ogre walking around inside. 😕

I really DO have one goal for this year. I want to build a giant wind sculpture that will be seen from the main highway. I have studied the work of Anthony Howe. His You Tube Videos show his magnificent work. I want to make at least ONE of these before I die.

Joe

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get back out there. Clean the shop, organize stuff. Try making something you never made before. I have a big white board where I write a job/wish/improvements list. There is always something next to do.
I headed out to the shop early this morning, confident that I would start!

Then I saw three guys dragging cables (?) across my property. Hot Diggity Dog! My Fiber Optic Internet is FINALLY being installed! I have waited 10 years and 7 months for this to happen!

So of course I got involved in the project, which I probably should have avoided. Now I am sitting here with the usual aching back, and trying to wrap up loose ends. I ordered four USB monitors today from Best Buy. I teach DesignEdge software online via ZOOM, but I also go out to remote locations and do on-site training. So between the monitor order and the FioS project, I didn't make it to my shop again.

Joe

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I get that way after the holidays. No deadlines so not much incentive to make things beyond the few winter orders that come in, when I should be making inventory. I lost a lot of $$ by not having multiples made of certain things. The holiday deadlines made me plan and get things out. I do best after procrastinating and then having to produce. Took a week off and now I have to do the "just start" thing that has been mentioned. A little bit at a time and then you get engrossed and the ideas start flowing.

Reactions: redrake1944

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
I have been house-bound except for doctor's appointments from January 2020 until Christmas 2021. I have that frump but have decided to "just start".

I went Saturday to pick up a new spindle and VFD from a guy that had it for sale. I got home and got a call from a customer that could not get his CNC control software to run. The battery in his CNC control laptop swoll up. The computer starts and you can start the CNC control software but then the program locks up and you can not do anything in the controller program. You can start other programs but they also lock up and can't be used. He got a new computer yesterday. I scheduled an all-day session for Wednesday to get the new computer set up. I'm counting both of those for Saturday.

Of course Sunday I had to watch football and rest up for everything else I'm going to do.

Today I tried to get my van inspected so I could update the registration on it and the high mount stop light is out. I spent the rest of the day looking online for one. Now I'm waiting for Ford to get back to me on availability. So I did, kind of, get something done today, I think. At least I'm counting that!

So, tomorrow I will be downloading everything I need to get the new computer set up to get his CNC running again. So tomorrow I can count that as something!

Then Wednesday I'll go to his shop for the day and reinstall everything on his new computer. It is a next wave machine so everything will have to be re-registered before he can use it. Wednesday will probably be a long day. I'm hoping I get everything working. I should get at least 2 points for that.

I would like to get the part from Ford Thursday so I can install it and go get the van inspected. Then I'll be able to register it that night. If I have to wait I plan on getting in the shop and "just start" cleaning it up. It is a major mess right now and you can't even move in there without rearranging tools or benches.

Just Start! You will be glad you did.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Speakng of brake lights, my right rear light is out, been to the dealer for repairs twice now and it wasn't done. Looks like a shorted wire to me, and one mechanic said the wire harness is fried. Needs a new harness. But the dealer guarantee is up in about 50 days and I think they don't really want to change the harness. I think electrical repairs are the trickiest of repairs because it can be a short anywhere. That will keep me off the streets and out of trouble for Thursday. Also have to make sure I can run an AV presentation someone did on their apple tablet. No standard connectors for Apple, so it's a crap shoot.

My daughter has a client who is stuck. 4 kids and a husband who doesn't really know how to interact with parents. He's an ex cop, and comes on way too strong with parents of the kids his eye doctor wife is trained to treat. Got my brain in gear and wrote a long piece on what might be done. I'm not much for work that makes me sweat, like to make my living with my brain instead. So by my standard, I got a lot done.

I do have to install software on our senior group's laptop. Someone banged it around and killed the hard drive. Had it replaced with a 500 gb solid state drive, and man, is if fast. Boots in a few seconds, apps run lickity split too. Got to find my copy of Power Point in a recent version. Hope I can install it without too much hassle. Going to download irfanview and Media Player classic. Both are free and are great to use.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Geez!! After reading these posts from you guys I felt like sticking my head in the sand too. It seems like depression is on a roll these days. I honestly feel the same way the moment I wake up so I don't get out of bed for at least another five minutes. Really though, the feelings you exhibit are throughout society these days as a result of, for the most part, the virus ( no, it's not just like the common cold, Joe ) and the on-going political stuff in the U.S. Of course, here where I am it can also be the weather that turns people down. ( minus 20C this morning ). Just think of it as swimming. If you're not making the effort, you'll sink. If you sink, you may drown. So keep stroking. The crawl, the back stroke, even the dog paddle. Just keep moving. Do anything to stay afloat. Me, I'm going out for a walk and see how long it takes to get frostbite. With the wind, it's -25c or so. I should be able to last about 15 minutes. Happy routing!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
maybe think of making a gift for someone, could be small or large. it could be a "thank you" for something they did for you, or just a gift. its always is nice to give somebody a gift, makes me feel better. and, it will put your talents to use...

i guess that sometimes brightening up somebody elses day, can brighten up your day!

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
maybe think of making a gift for someone, could be small or large. it could be a "thank you" for something they did for you, or just a gift. its always is nice to give somebody a gift, makes me feel better. and, it will put your talents to use...

i guess that sometimes brightening up somebody elses day, can brighten up your day!
Now there's an idea I can get behind. I'll make a picture frame special for my sweetheart.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have been in the deepest frump for the past 18 months or longer. I have been trying to climb out of it, but the motivation just isn't there. I have two home hobby shops full of machines and tools, but no desire to get out there to use them. I swear there must be a BIG spider web spun across the entry doors ... the spiders are thinking, "When that fat guy walks in next time, we've got him!"

I am 63 now. Not "old" yet, but the world sure isn't what I thought it would be at this age. I have added a few things to my shops, in the hopes of getting excited again about working out there. I recently added a DeWalt planer, a Grizzly 20" helical planer, and a 48" 12 ga. sheet metal finger brake from Grizzly, as well as a big new dust collector, a small HFT lathe, and other things.

I don't have that friend who stops by the shop. I normally work alone. Those red oak church pews are calling me, but I never seem to get the energy to mess with them. I have lots of material, a CNC router table and a CNC plasma table, etc. I recently acquired a nice powder coating machine, but now I have to buy (or build) an oven and a spray booth.

I spend a lot of time flipping though my "Eye Candy Store" (PINTEREST.COM) for ideas. People are so creative! I should probably just pick SOMETHING and say, "I'm going to build THAT today!" I even have a TIG welder on order through Northern Tools, but just like everything else, "Delivery is delayed because of COVID!" I swear, it has become the universal excuse for poor customer service, poor job performance, and a glaring lack of intelligence.

Today is another day. I'm going to go grab some breakfast, and see if I can force myself to walk into the shops and stay there for a few hours, if only to sort things and clean up a bit. I do have some big projects I want to accomplish this year. MAYBE 2022 will be better.

Joe
Hi
All that equipment. It appears you enjoy buying than working. If you have any unfinished projects take care of them. That’s what I intent to do.
I wish I was close by to inspire and get inspired

·
Registered
Retired electronics engineer and computer scientist
3 Posts
Thanks to all who posted on this topic. I, too, have a nice workshop in the basement (it even featured in Wood Magazine late last year) but I have been idle for a long time. I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2019 and went through a stem cell transplant in 2019, coinciding with the first Covid lockdown. No real desire to do anything.

Until late last summer, when my grandson (17) got a project directive from school, and decided he wanted to build something with his Saba (Hebrew for grandpa). He chose to build a two-seater Adirondack bench with a table for a homeless shelter in his neighborhood, and since he's a woodworking novice, I helped him find a design, figure out the materials list, and off we went to Menards to buy the lumber (all pine). The design is a simple one, and he was able to do a lot of the work. With strict supervision, he chop-sawed and ripped the lumber to size, did the layout, sanding, drilling, screwing, etc. I only helped with the rounding routing (I was apprehensive about his fingers being close to a spinning router bit). We finished the bench with General Finishes top coat, and it came out quite nice. Then he said he wanted to dedicate it to a lady at the shelter who had since passed away, so I was motivated to fire up my little 3018 Fox Alien CNC and carve a memorial plaque, which replaced the brace in the front under the table.

I don't know if this project will get me out of my "frump" - but I know it certainly helped to forget it for the duration. So if you have grandkids, guys and gals, drop a hint that you're willing to help with a project - it may help you, too.

Wood Flooring Carpenter Floor Wood stain
Property Wood Tradesman Grey Floor

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi
All that equipment. It appears you enjoy buying than working. If you have any unfinished projects take care of them. That’s what I intent to do.
I wish I was close by to inspire and get inspired
Well, it is easier to buy than to dive into a project, for sure. I do want to take another run at it this year. I still need one thing that will give me a boost of enthusiasm.

I am now shopping for a good powder coat oven and spray booth combination. Eastwood Tools has a set for about $10K. I'd jump on that if it were larger. 4x4 is not a lot of space for larger things but then ... since I am not making ANYTHING, I guess I am just using that as an excuse. If I get myself bank into it, and sell lots of stuff that can fit into THAT oven, then I might see the income to get a larger oven ... perhaps next year?

I am going to a doctor very soon to check out this old body. I seem to run out of steam WAY too soon. I get up with all kinds of enthusiasm, but even after what I consider to be adequate sleep, I am nodding off only a few hours later. I know it is due in large part to a glaring lack of exercise. So I will start walking again just as soon as some good old American chemistry lowers my blood pressure below walking time bomb status, according to my previous doctor. :unsure:

Also, my 2022 "BIG PROJECT" is still on my mind, a 'YUGE wind sculpture that will sit on my property and be seen both day and night from the main highway about 3/10ths of a mile away. The TIG welder I ordered from Northern Tool should be here soon, and THAT is something I want to get working right away. It will be littered with small glass hobby mirrors, and lit by colored spotlights from below. so at night, it should be spectacular, even in a slow breeze, or no air movement at all.

Yes, this is "metal art" and not really a topic for a ROUTER FORUM, but I truly do enjoy the input here from you guys with a LOT more experience. My 5'x10' CNC router table is 1/2 completed. I was building the VAC table surface for it when something ... it is always something ... tore me away from the project. That is something else I'd like to have up and running by April or so if possible.

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts

Joe

Joe
I hate to say it ,. . .but, that "do nothing bug" has got me bad.also. . . .But for me it's been 3yrs. (since heart transplant) Oh sure, I get a small 'tailwind' but it fizzles out as soon as I have to look for something. . So many projects and ideas bouncing around upstairs but nothing taking root !

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.