Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Turning 63 in about 16 days or so. Retired as a Communications Lineman of 42 years 1.5 years ago. I work with a group of Church Boy Scouts that are called Royal Rangers. This Church scouting program keeps me very busy. I made 14 cedar carved plaques and 16 cedar lanterns and 7 wooden canteens this past 3 weeks. Just got a Big Tent Wood stove for a 16x16 canvas marquee tent and burnt the stove in today. I didn't do a single wood working project... HA! Going to go camping in a Big ole Bat Cave next Friday and Saturday with 60 Royal Rangers. We are in Missouri near Springfield Branson area. Covid is on all the news stations, but you can't really tell it's here. Folks are still living their lives and going and doing. I got in a funk when I divorced my wife 36 years ago. Couldn't even go out in the work shop..... then after a couple of years remarried her and enjoy woodworking again. Between Church, Rangers great family and retirement my Funk days have been defunked. Don't get me wrong. When covid first came out it stressed me out as well. Thankfully that is behind me. Get er done! I make more gifts than anything. It's fun!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Turning 63 in about 16 days or so. Retired as a Communications Lineman of 42 years 1.5 years ago. I work with a group of Church Boy Scouts that are called Royal Rangers. This Church scouting program keeps me very busy. I made 14 cedar carved plaques and 16 cedar lanterns and 7 wooden canteens this past 3 weeks. Just got a Big Tent Wood stove for a 16x16 canvas marquee tent and burnt the stove in today. I didn't do a single wood working project... HA! Going to go camping in a Big ole Bat Cave next Friday and Saturday with 60 Royal Rangers. We are in Missouri near Springfield Branson area. Covid is on all the news stations, but you can't really tell it's here. Folks are still living their lives and going and doing. I got in a funk when I divorced my wife 36 years ago. Couldn't even go out in the work shop..... then after a couple of years remarried her and enjoy woodworking again. Between Church, Rangers great family and retirement my Funk days have been defunked. Don't get me wrong. When covid first came out it stressed me out as well. Thankfully that is behind me. Get er done! I make more gifts than anything. It's fun!
Maybe this wood stove video will warm you guys up. Updated the video with some stuff.
Colorado Cylinder Stove Alpine - YouTube

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks made me smile. Sometimes me and that frog have a lot in common. In 5 days we will be camping over night in a Big ole Bat Cave , It's time to get the Big Bat Cave campout stuff out and redo the 6 golden treasure chests the boys search for in the cave then bring them back to me so they can share in the devotion and get a gift out of the big treasure chest....(pocket knife, metal match, light, caribener etc...) Also need to review the rappelling video as we do that down the face of the cave and get the flint and steel stuf ready. Here is a video from last years campout. Been camping in that cave once a year for 25 years!
Big Bat Cave 2021 (tzo.com)
I may make up some Bat Cave medallions to give out as "I did that stuff" 50 of them will take me a bit of time. I think making them out of 3/8 red cedar using the CNC and burning in the graphics with the laser. I need to get busy!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sure looks like a lot of fun for everyone. To be always remembered as time goes by. I admire you for the time you put in to have this event.
I don't know where you get your energy. I certainly couldn't keep up the pace. Could you tell me where that is? Not that I would ever go there but I'm always interested in where people go and what they do in their leisure time. As well, I've always wondered why the people on this forum seldom identify themselves as any more than "Joe Brown from Texas" or " Orville Smith from Iowa". Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but I like knowing approximately where people are from and what part of their country they live their lives in. Not for any ulterior motive but just to have a little insight into what their part of their country is like. It also helps when some of us are searching for help or item sources.
45 minutes NE of Springfield Missouri near Morgan, MO. I just sat down to design those medallions on the computer. Been napping on the couch! This retirement like is pretty good!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Drop by a local church and see if they have a program for kids there. Make cool stuff they can give to the boys and girls. That could be plaques, boxes, lanterns, canteens, unaboxes or just about any kind of thing they could use. I like the fast and easy projects. I worked 42 years climbing poles and going under houses so money is not needed to make it worth it. I just like giving the gifts. Gave out 3 maple canteens in appreciation to 3 men that have spent 20 plus years working with boys in a church scouting type organization. Most will pay for materials and expenses if they ask can I do anything to help. There is all kinds of neat stuff one can do.

Here is a canteen video from 2 weeks ago.
Wooden Canteens of Maple and Pine air dried lumber - YouTube

I hope you have a fast recovery so you can get out and make some cool stuff! I forgot to mention one can make things for others at a donation price. Made some 23 lanterns last year of those 16 went for a fundraiser that brought in $600.00 they got a great deal and the local program got 600.00 bucks. It's all good stuff and it makes for good feelings all around. Lot's of needs these days and lots of people will still say thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got started on those medallions tonight. Made a jig to hold a 2.75" board by 20" long to cut them out of. I think I made close to 80 of them last year with no jig so I figured it was time to make a jig to save some work securing them to the table faster. May make a video on this process as well. I had forgotten how to do it since last year. HA! Had to go back and relearn how I did it before. Made a video on that to remind me next time when I forget.

Something funny. Some one asked me who my Pastor was. I couldn't tell them his name to save my life for about 5 minutes. GRIN! It finally came to me. Frog hitting the wall thing!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Boy can I relate. Lost my wife to cancer in Nov after a 11 month battle. No children. Between visits to various doctors, hospitals, clinics for chemo, radiation, and endless MRI's, CT scans, surgery for spinal collapse, lawnmowing for 3 acres (yes had some help from neighbors) had to put all woodworking projects on hold. Now that she's gone, I am still shop limited as I am committed to taking care of our Scottish Terrier, 100% a mama's boy. (Any Scottie owners here will understand, they're very demanding of you time, and yes, he comes first). That being said, I also have many, many projects planned, mostly in my head, and not yet committed to paper. Anyway Hobbyist, good luck.
You have been through one of the hardest things we can experience in this life. That would put me in a Frump for a long time. Yet those family pets sure are a comfort. We lost one of our very best Shelties last month. She was one of the best pets we have ever had. Get out in that shop and make some dust! So many rewards can be found that process.
Take care and really good care of that Scottish Terrier!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts