Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
I think there are a lot of us in that condition these days. Health issues for me, all linked to the cancer cure a decade ago. Turns out there are long term effects of chemo and radiation. And we've all been locked down. My doc said don't get sick because if I have another episode of pneumonia, I won't survive.

My daughter now runs my consulting business because I lost my voice, and she's been in a frump as well. However, writing is a strong baseline skill, and I've taken it up again, and it's been nice feeling like I've done something every day. I write copy for her marketing, and long entries on facebook. Used to have letters to the editor published all the time, but I'm tired of politics, and the lines are drawn and people are entrenched, so fooey on them all.

My brother has written several novels (he's a retired rocket scientist--really) but I like writing nonfiction. Journalism was my trade for a long time, and yesterday I discovered that the guy who started as a reporter the same day I did, has been dead for 7 years. Wrote a nice piece about him on face book. So I'm reminded that life is short, and that Oliver's admonition applies. So I guess I'll just start.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
Speakng of brake lights, my right rear light is out, been to the dealer for repairs twice now and it wasn't done. Looks like a shorted wire to me, and one mechanic said the wire harness is fried. Needs a new harness. But the dealer guarantee is up in about 50 days and I think they don't really want to change the harness. I think electrical repairs are the trickiest of repairs because it can be a short anywhere. That will keep me off the streets and out of trouble for Thursday. Also have to make sure I can run an AV presentation someone did on their apple tablet. No standard connectors for Apple, so it's a crap shoot.

My daughter has a client who is stuck. 4 kids and a husband who doesn't really know how to interact with parents. He's an ex cop, and comes on way too strong with parents of the kids his eye doctor wife is trained to treat. Got my brain in gear and wrote a long piece on what might be done. I'm not much for work that makes me sweat, like to make my living with my brain instead. So by my standard, I got a lot done.

I do have to install software on our senior group's laptop. Someone banged it around and killed the hard drive. Had it replaced with a 500 gb solid state drive, and man, is if fast. Boots in a few seconds, apps run lickity split too. Got to find my copy of Power Point in a recent version. Hope I can install it without too much hassle. Going to download irfanview and Media Player classic. Both are free and are great to use.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
maybe think of making a gift for someone, could be small or large. it could be a "thank you" for something they did for you, or just a gift. its always is nice to give somebody a gift, makes me feel better. and, it will put your talents to use...

i guess that sometimes brightening up somebody elses day, can brighten up your day!
Now there's an idea I can get behind. I'll make a picture frame special for my sweetheart.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
... I sure could use a helper. I cannot afford to employ someone full-time or even part-time, but I could pay someone to put in a few hours here and there. My neighbor's son was great, but he is grown up now, out of college, and he is now his own contractor. Good for him! But he doesn't have time to do "small projects" now.

Joe
I know what you mean about a helper. I turn 79 in about 3 weeks and I recently had to practically go into a fist fight with a cardiologist to stop blood thinner meds prescribed for what turned out to be a mis-diagnosis. Now I get by with just a baby aspirin.

As to a helper, I'd suggest you hire a teen ager. I'd contact a local school that has a wood shop. Or you could just start asking around, church is a good place to start, for a young person who'd like a part time job as a helper in the shop. Let them know you're going to teach them woodworking, especially safety issues. Get them a good dust mask and safety glasses and make sure your insurance covers them. If you pay more than $1,000 you should file a 1099, which is really easy and will CYA in many ways.

I found a great hispanic family that started doing yard work for us on an occasional basis. He has sons who would probably be very happy to have part tie work. And you might also find a kid who would like to make projects of his own, for which he wouldn't be paid, but would use your tools. That will get you out in the shop. You can find a stool to sit on when you run out of steam.

I'm about to hire a guy to rebuild part of the patio cover that the wind destroyed last year. He's not over expensive but man, he's reliable and does a good job, but I not only pay his fee, but usually add a substantial thank you tip. Got to take good care of good people.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
I had a regular worker some years ago who had been a gang banger type. Looked like rough trade. He was, however, a diligent worker over a summer. In fact he was so good I recommended to a friend whose company makes aircraft parts from exotic materials. Later, the company became a ESOT, he split ownership among all his employees and so far as I know, they all did really well financially. He told me once that he'd cleaned up his act because he saw that he'd become an important role model for his nephew. Family motivated him. Wish he were still around. You can't always tell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts