Router Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Turning 63 in about 16 days or so. Retired as a Communications Lineman of 42 years 1.5 years ago. I work with a group of Church Boy Scouts that are called Royal Rangers. This Church scouting program keeps me very busy. I made 14 cedar carved plaques and 16 cedar lanterns and 7 wooden canteens this past 3 weeks. Just got a Big Tent Wood stove for a 16x16 canvas marquee tent and burnt the stove in today. I didn't do a single wood working project... HA! Going to go camping in a Big ole Bat Cave next Friday and Saturday with 60 Royal Rangers. We are in Missouri near Springfield Branson area. Covid is on all the news stations, but you can't really tell it's here. Folks are still living their lives and going and doing. I got in a funk when I divorced my wife 36 years ago. Couldn't even go out in the work shop..... then after a couple of years remarried her and enjoy woodworking again. Between Church, Rangers great family and retirement my Funk days have been defunked. Don't get me wrong. When covid first came out it stressed me out as well. Thankfully that is behind me. Get er done! I make more gifts than anything. It's fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know ... "Just find something you like to do, and do it!"

I have been in the deepest frump for the past 18 months or longer. I have been trying to climb out of it, but the motivation just isn't there. I have two home hobby shops full of machines and tools, but no desire to get out there to use them. I swear there must be a BIG spider web spun across the entry doors ... the spiders are thinking, "When that fat guy walks in next time, we've got him!"

I am 63 now. Not "old" yet, but the world sure isn't what I thought it would be at this age. I have added a few things to my shops, in the hopes of getting excited again about working out there. I recently added a DeWalt planer, a Grizzly 20" helical planer, and a 48" 12 ga. sheet metal finger brake from Grizzly, as well as a big new dust collector, a small HFT lathe, and other things.

I don't have that friend who stops by the shop. I normally work alone. Those red oak church pews are calling me, but I never seem to get the energy to mess with them. I have lots of material, a CNC router table and a CNC plasma table, etc. I recently acquired a nice powder coating machine, but now I have to buy (or build) an oven and a spray booth.

I spend a lot of time flipping though my "Eye Candy Store" (PINTEREST.COM) for ideas. People are so creative! I should probably just pick SOMETHING and say, "I'm going to build THAT today!" I even have a TIG welder on order through Northern Tools, but just like everything else, "Delivery is delayed because of COVID!" I swear, it has become the universal excuse for poor customer service, poor job performance, and a glaring lack of intelligence.

Today is another day. I'm going to go grab some breakfast, and see if I can force myself to walk into the shops and stay there for a few hours, if only to sort things and clean up a bit. I do have some big projects I want to accomplish this year. MAYBE 2022 will be better.

Joe
Do something simple that you can give to another person as a gift. Bird feeders are always my go to when I'm in the frump slump. It'll keep you busy, get some run time on those machines and you'll put a smile on someone's face when you give it to them. I made this feeder yesterday, painted it last night and Saturday my sister in law will have a new addition to her self made aviary backyard. You have to keep moving, moss doesn't grow on anything in motion.....including people!

Happy 2022!
Wood Gas Rectangle Composite material Flooring

Wood Gas Hardwood Machine Flooring

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know ... "Just find something you like to do, and do it!"

I have been in the deepest frump for the past 18 months or longer. I have been trying to climb out of it, but the motivation just isn't there. I have two home hobby shops full of machines and tools, but no desire to get out there to use them. I swear there must be a BIG spider web spun across the entry doors ... the spiders are thinking, "When that fat guy walks in next time, we've got him!"

I am 63 now. Not "old" yet, but the world sure isn't what I thought it would be at this age. I have added a few things to my shops, in the hopes of getting excited again about working out there. I recently added a DeWalt planer, a Grizzly 20" helical planer, and a 48" 12 ga. sheet metal finger brake from Grizzly, as well as a big new dust collector, a small HFT lathe, and other things.

I don't have that friend who stops by the shop. I normally work alone. Those red oak church pews are calling me, but I never seem to get the energy to mess with them. I have lots of material, a CNC router table and a CNC plasma table, etc. I recently acquired a nice powder coating machine, but now I have to buy (or build) an oven and a spray booth.

I spend a lot of time flipping though my "Eye Candy Store" (PINTEREST.COM) for ideas. People are so creative! I should probably just pick SOMETHING and say, "I'm going to build THAT today!" I even have a TIG welder on order through Northern Tools, but just like everything else, "Delivery is delayed because of COVID!" I swear, it has become the universal excuse for poor customer service, poor job performance, and a glaring lack of intelligence.

Today is another day. I'm going to go grab some breakfast, and see if I can force myself to walk into the shops and stay there for a few hours, if only to sort things and clean up a bit. I do have some big projects I want to accomplish this year. MAYBE 2022 will be better.

Joe
You probably won't like this, especially if you're not a Christian.
"God gave you a spirit NOT OF FEAR, but of POWER, LOVE and a sound mind". (2TIM 1:7)

Things "in motion" tend to stay in motion and things not in motion tend to stay "not in motion". You're in control.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Turning 63 in about 16 days or so. Retired as a Communications Lineman of 42 years 1.5 years ago. I work with a group of Church Boy Scouts that are called Royal Rangers. This Church scouting program keeps me very busy. I made 14 cedar carved plaques and 16 cedar lanterns and 7 wooden canteens this past 3 weeks. Just got a Big Tent Wood stove for a 16x16 canvas marquee tent and burnt the stove in today. I didn't do a single wood working project... HA! Going to go camping in a Big ole Bat Cave next Friday and Saturday with 60 Royal Rangers. We are in Missouri near Springfield Branson area. Covid is on all the news stations, but you can't really tell it's here. Folks are still living their lives and going and doing. I got in a funk when I divorced my wife 36 years ago. Couldn't even go out in the work shop..... then after a couple of years remarried her and enjoy woodworking again. Between Church, Rangers great family and retirement my Funk days have been defunked. Don't get me wrong. When covid first came out it stressed me out as well. Thankfully that is behind me. Get er done! I make more gifts than anything. It's fun!
Maybe this wood stove video will warm you guys up. Updated the video with some stuff.
Colorado Cylinder Stove Alpine - YouTube

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You probably won't like this, especially if you're not a Christian.
"God gave you a spirit NOT OF FEAR, but of POWER, LOVE and a sound mind". (2TIM 1:7)

Things "in motion" tend to stay in motion and things not in motion tend to stay "not in motion". You're in control.
I agree with you. Also, there is the parable about the "talents" given to three men, and the test of whether or not those talents were used for good.

Five Lessons for Our Lives from the Parable of the Talents

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,459 Posts

·
Official Greeter
19,363 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Its been a tough last two years. Family deaths, family health issues, lose of clear purpose, and the list continues. But there is always a light at the end of the tunnel no matter how dim.

Making custom animations for Twitch friends has been a ton of fun and has been pulling me out of my dark place. Hopefully, this brings a smile to someone out there that needs it. I had a lot of fun making it. Hope everyone finds something to help them over these times.

Entertainment Font Event Art Darkness

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks made me smile. Sometimes me and that frog have a lot in common. In 5 days we will be camping over night in a Big ole Bat Cave , It's time to get the Big Bat Cave campout stuff out and redo the 6 golden treasure chests the boys search for in the cave then bring them back to me so they can share in the devotion and get a gift out of the big treasure chest....(pocket knife, metal match, light, caribener etc...) Also need to review the rappelling video as we do that down the face of the cave and get the flint and steel stuf ready. Here is a video from last years campout. Been camping in that cave once a year for 25 years!
Big Bat Cave 2021 (tzo.com)
I may make up some Bat Cave medallions to give out as "I did that stuff" 50 of them will take me a bit of time. I think making them out of 3/8 red cedar using the CNC and burning in the graphics with the laser. I need to get busy!

·
Registered
484 Posts
That looks like so much fun. I am a little too heavy now to go rappelling but it was always a thrill. Nothing like that first leaning out into empty space and trusting your rope.

Hope everyone has a great time and brings everyone closer to your faith. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the great topic and comments. They're great! Like Tom, I have had a rough time from the effects of cancer and radiation/chemo treatments. I'm very limited in walking and standing which limits me greatly - especially at the wood lathe. But, about a month ago I just STARTED!!! And I'm on my second gift. It hurts. It's slow. But I've STARTED. It feels good. Spring, hurry up.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It sure looks like a lot of fun for everyone. To be always remembered as time goes by. I admire you for the time you put in to have this event.
I don't know where you get your energy. I certainly couldn't keep up the pace. Could you tell me where that is? Not that I would ever go there but I'm always interested in where people go and what they do in their leisure time. As well, I've always wondered why the people on this forum seldom identify themselves as any more than "Joe Brown from Texas" or " Orville Smith from Iowa". Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but I like knowing approximately where people are from and what part of their country they live their lives in. Not for any ulterior motive but just to have a little insight into what their part of their country is like. It also helps when some of us are searching for help or item sources.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It sure looks like a lot of fun for everyone. To be always remembered as time goes by. I admire you for the time you put in to have this event.
I don't know where you get your energy. I certainly couldn't keep up the pace. Could you tell me where that is? Not that I would ever go there but I'm always interested in where people go and what they do in their leisure time. As well, I've always wondered why the people on this forum seldom identify themselves as any more than "Joe Brown from Texas" or " Orville Smith from Iowa". Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but I like knowing approximately where people are from and what part of their country they live their lives in. Not for any ulterior motive but just to have a little insight into what their part of their country is like. It also helps when some of us are searching for help or item sources.
45 minutes NE of Springfield Missouri near Morgan, MO. I just sat down to design those medallions on the computer. Been napping on the couch! This retirement like is pretty good!

·
Registered
207 Posts
One way to rev up activity in the shop, learn a new skill. This engraver just arrived. Finally got past the chinese menu's, I found it quite capable. Still learning/fine tuning.

·
Registered
Steve
1,810 Posts
Well. Having just gotten home to recover from a heart attack, I'm not ALLOWED to go out and potter for a few weeks.
For those that have experienced such joys, were there any types of projects or anything you found that helped you ease back into it?
I know the options are endless and it depends on your skill levels and equipment available, but if anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Drop by a local church and see if they have a program for kids there. Make cool stuff they can give to the boys and girls. That could be plaques, boxes, lanterns, canteens, unaboxes or just about any kind of thing they could use. I like the fast and easy projects. I worked 42 years climbing poles and going under houses so money is not needed to make it worth it. I just like giving the gifts. Gave out 3 maple canteens in appreciation to 3 men that have spent 20 plus years working with boys in a church scouting type organization. Most will pay for materials and expenses if they ask can I do anything to help. There is all kinds of neat stuff one can do.

Here is a canteen video from 2 weeks ago.
Wooden Canteens of Maple and Pine air dried lumber - YouTube

I hope you have a fast recovery so you can get out and make some cool stuff! I forgot to mention one can make things for others at a donation price. Made some 23 lanterns last year of those 16 went for a fundraiser that brought in $600.00 they got a great deal and the local program got 600.00 bucks. It's all good stuff and it makes for good feelings all around. Lot's of needs these days and lots of people will still say thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got started on those medallions tonight. Made a jig to hold a 2.75" board by 20" long to cut them out of. I think I made close to 80 of them last year with no jig so I figured it was time to make a jig to save some work securing them to the table faster. May make a video on this process as well. I had forgotten how to do it since last year. HA! Had to go back and relearn how I did it before. Made a video on that to remind me next time when I forget.

Something funny. Some one asked me who my Pastor was. I couldn't tell them his name to save my life for about 5 minutes. GRIN! It finally came to me. Frog hitting the wall thing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
One way to rev up activity in the shop, learn a new skill. This engraver just arrived. Finally got past the chinese menu's, I found it quite capable. Still learning/fine tuning.
Is this for etching metal plates? I have not done any of that yet.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts