Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I input my biography and profile but in short, I've planned more projects than I've executed. High on power tools now as my apartment needs built-ins, such as a place for all my newly acquired power tools. I watch way too many DIY shows and now that I know about the Router Workshop TV show, will cleanse my palate there. I just bought my (first) router, a Ryobi 1.5 HP, 2", 1/4" fixed-base router. I thought it was a plunge router, so next I'll sheepishly search the forum for threads on fixed-base vs plunge. This should be my last post for months since you all have tons of experience to listen to. Ciao!

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hewy, deAnne; welcome!
"I just realized it's not a plunge router, it's fixed base. Doh! Should I keep it?"

Absolutely!! The general consensus around here is that one can never have too many routers. :)

·
Super Moderator
John
6,914 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. DeAnne

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, DeAnne.

Keep it, certainly....

90% of the US members have only a fixed base router and some of them are OK.........LOL.

As you gain some experience, you will appreciate the benefits of a plunge router.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi DeAnne

Keep the Ryobi but do pickup a 2 1/2HP combo router kit so you have one for a router table and plunge base as well and all the extra items that come with them,you can have two many routers .. :)

Note the one in the video below is a 1 1/2HP gray top ,the 2.5 hp is about the same just more power..

Craftsman 2.5-hp Fixed/Plunge Router : Power Up With Deals at Sears
Tuesday Tool Time- Craftsman Routers - YouTube

===

Hello to all. I input my biography and profile but in short, I've planned more projects than I've executed. High on power tools now as my apartment needs built-ins, such as a place for all my newly acquired power tools. I watch way too many DIY shows and now that I know about the Router Workshop TV show, will cleanse my palate there. I just bought my (first) router, a Ryobi 1.5 HP, 2", 1/4" fixed-base router. I thought it was a plunge router, so next I'll sheepishly search the forum for threads on fixed-base vs plunge. This should be my last post for months since you all have tons of experience to listen to. Ciao!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum DeAnne.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts