Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been looking for a different looking railing for my front stoop. And here's what I found.

My practice was on the bottom of the screen door to the deck. Since I used a 1/4" round over bit on my router table for all the 1X3". I don't like a lot of sharp edges on the wood. I guess this is the right place to post it. If not, someone will move it. <big grin>

I like unusual/different but not absurd. Do ya think I've achieved that?

I don't know if I want to paint it or use marine varnish. Any suggestions since this will be out in the weather?

Thanks, all, in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hi Barb,
It is different, but I like it. If it were me, I would just paint it.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hello Barb! I agree, I would paint it. The most important thing is, Are you happy with it? I tell others that it will do no good to please others, If you like it, keep it. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Barb,

I *like* it! It will add a cool "signature" look to that part of the home.

I know this goes against others' recommendations I'd recommend using a opaque or transparent stain over painting it. I live in Anchorage, where the winters are long but not terribly harsh (usually 10 - 25F), so this is the perspective from which I offer my opinion.

Paint, being a "surface film" but not strong (thin latex) product will peel after a few years exposed to the elements, especially in freezing temperatures. All it takes is for a bit on moisture to get under the paint and the freeze / thaw cycles will break the adhesion of the paint to the surface. Stain, on the other hand, soaks into the wood and doesn't provide a barrier for the moisture to press against. If it fades over time you can re-apply, but you won't be stuck with the tedious scraping / sanding process. At least up here, it is a lesson many have painfully learned on sundecks.

As for marine varnish, I've never used it over a stain but would expect it to work about as well over the stain as bare wood. You'll obviously need to confirm the compatibility of the stain (oil vs. water) with the varnish and others here can speak to that but at worst case I'd guess a coat of shellac between the two would ensure compatibility.

Speak out, others!

Jim

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Nice job Barb. Are the openings small enough to keep the critters from wiggling through? That was the original purpose of this type of lattice work. For the climate you live in I suggest using paint and by all means ask the sales rep for the proper primer and paint combination. Water clean up is nice but oil base lasts longer. (And takes longer to dry)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Very nice!
I'd say if it isn't in direct sunlight and hammered by rain and debris I'd go with a bunch of clear poly layers.

Are the joints half lapped or butted and biscuited?

We have 2 very old aluminum storm doors that we got from my uncle they must be 25 to 30 + years old, but still work fine.

Seeing your design is giving me ideas for a more traditional wooden screen door.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I value all of your opinions. You know how something just catches your eye and ya can't let it go??? Well this was it for me. And as Mike knows all too well so did the box jointed clock by Bob Rosendahl. (Poor Mike)

Would oil based exterior paint soak into the wood like an oil stain and finish? The front stoop, the planned place for the railing is painted white. I want the railing to stand out but not like a sore thumb. BUT..... I'm doing this part only once. My kids can keep it up when I can't any longer.

The stoop is on the worst weather side of the house... NW, Ronald. So if I'm going to do it only once I've got to do it right. It is all butt cut and I used pocket joinery. I was going to use an air gun but the brads were too long. Why drive 20 miles round trip to get shorter brads when ya need practice with a pocket jig. Right?

I love the pattern.... no measuring.... Put a board up there... draw a pencil line then cut. KISS!

Here's the link where I got the idea. Fancy Deck Railing, Chippendale Pattern

Jim, it sounds like we have Anchorage weather here in NW PA. So it does have to stand up to some abusive weather, winters and otherwise. It's July 5 and we had a low last night of 38°.... absurd for even here. And it's the first night it hasn't rained in over a week.

My ex-SIL built that screen door over 15 years ago. The screening was ok yet but I needed somewhere to practice. <grin>

Yah, Mike. I did have to screen it or the cats would get out. And this goofy parrot would find the openings in a heartbeat. The deck was screened in after I got the bird so I could have him on the deck with me. The front stoop is within a 4' chain link fenced yard so for me that's not a problem out there for the dogs. Maybe using 1X2's and more of them would work?

The stoop is 6'X7'. The first thing I have to do is get 6X6's or 4X4's (I don't know which till I talk to my local handyman at Ace Hardware) to replace the two ends which support the roof.... and I'm not going there.... the roof that is. <big grin> Then I'm off and running.

Thank you for all the input. And it's great if I could help get wheels turning in your heads, too. ;o)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
A agree Nikki, harsh conditions require tough measures to protect the product.
Even today I still have a couple customers with farmers porches with old fir decks 35 plus yrs. Outside of the ruts worn into the major traffic areas they look great because of the linseed oil applications. I don't know how well linseed holds up under the thumb of UV though.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Paint needs the proper primer to adhere to the wood and last, and this is true of both oil or water based products. Oil based is still more durable, but neither one will soak in to the wood like a stain. Ask at your local paint or hardware store, these people earn their living by providing the right match of products.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What shows in the photo is only my practice piece for the front stoop. The one in the photo will eventually be painted white. It does need to blend in more.

As for the finish on the stoop I need something that is as weather-proof as possible.

Has anyone used the aniline dye? I've read some quite interesting things about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Ho: Paint and solid exterior stain really look the same. The secret to putting on a finish that will last is having a good primer. Some of the solid exterior stains accomplish that, but somehow the wood needs to be sealed.

Dirk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey ho back atcha, Dirk. Welcome and thanks for your input. Someone told me there would be a learning curve getting into woodworking... I t'aint seen a curve yet.... the vertical spike is giving me tunnel vision. <grin>

Would you recommend a good solid exterior stain that would accomplish that? I have no clue what a solid exterior stain is. In fact the word 'solid' throws me.

And did I say I'm learning a new language as well?.... woodese. <chuckle>

Thanks and again welcome.

Hi Ho: Paint and solid exterior stain really look the same. The secret to putting on a finish that will last is having a good primer. Some of the solid exterior stains accomplish that, but somehow the wood needs to be sealed.

Dirk

·
Registered
296 Posts
About exterior stains: Exterior Stains - Sherwin-Williams
If you have most of the area around your new door detail painted, it would be wise to paint it, also. To paint bare wood a primer coat is needed, initially. I use oil or alkyd based primers on exterior surfaces. Sherwin-Williams Duration or Superpaint is what I use on most exteriors. I don't have any "call-backs" so something I'm doing is right :laugh:. Really, the best job entails getting the surface prepared. That means: no loose or flaking paint, an unoxidized surface, absolutely clean surface, all bare wood primed. It's not rocket science.
I also paint some other, more challenging places, like cooling towers, loaded ammonia tanks, and heat-treating plants. Your stoop looks like it would benefit the most from a good paint applicatiuon. My .02.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info, Lance. This whole place needs a good painting but right now it will have to wait a tad longer... like till next summer when my kids can come home and get the higher parts.

The bottom part of the screen door is only a practice run. I am going to paint it white. The new railing will go around my front stoop. It's not very big, 6' X 7', but enough to keep me off the streets. <grin>

Barb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts