Router Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just realised that I did not make it clear.....I didnt actually forge the steel. I dont have a furnace or forge.
I bought a flat bar of 86/70 and cut and shaped.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole through the pommel for a strap, then I might reshape the end. I will be putting fullers (blood grooves) into the sides in the next couple of days. Then I have to make a sheath.
Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bob, if you have access to an oxy-acetylene torch, get hold of some case-hardening compound. You will be able to harden the outside of the steel to a reasonable degree. Not as good as the whole hardening and tempering bit, but will give you some additional longevity. Do it before final cleaning and polishing of the blade, as there may be some discolouration - in fact, try it on a piece of offcut from you bar first.
Not sure if you can get case-hardening compound in Cyprus, but will be available from the UK.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I screwed up on procedures on this. I should have hardened the blade BEFORE I put the wooden scales on. I'm not going to go the case hardening compound purely for the cost of materials. I shall harden the blade with a MAPP gas torch and quench in oil because thats what I have. I'll do my best to protect the handle scales.
I have no actual use for this knife, so if doesnt fully harden its no big deal, I'll just use it a conversation piece wall hanger.
its purely to see if I enjoy making knives or not. If I make another (more) I'll scale it down a bit

21 - 23 of 23 Posts