Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make my own shellac and I understand the cutting part but I'm not sure on what pound cut to finish wood with.

Is the cut a personal preference with finishing, or should I start with a 1 lb. cut and finish with 3 lb. cut?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I took a finishing class where they talked a lot about shellac. It seems that 2 lb is typical but my instructor preferred 1 lb and put more layers on.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, I think so. The instruct said she liked more of the thinner layers as it leveled better (her words). She also said to sand very lightly because even 2 lb cut makes for pretty thin layers.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I use the sanding sealer a lot. It is really thin and I put on a lot of coats and it gives a very nice finish. It is just thin dewaxed shellac. I use a very fine wide artist brush and it leaves no brush marks. Also drys extremely fast and I can easily apply 4 coats /day. Also sand between coats with 400 gt.

Herb

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made a 30 lb cut today with orange flakes, can't wait to see how it will look on the cherry for the project I'm working on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts