Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just joined the router forum. I really liked woodworking as my dad had a shop when I was growing up. I build some really nice things when I was a kid.

Until now I really did not have anywhere to store any real tools besides hand tools. After completely enjoying remodeling my house (I basically rebuilt it from the inside. Electrical, plumbing, drywall, framing, concrete, etc.), I really would like to get back into the fine art of woodworking and build furniture etc. For my first project, I'd like to make a jewelry box for my wife! Believe it or not, I actually never used a router. I am currently searching for a router. One for hand-held projects and one for a table. For the table I pretty much came to the conclusion that the PC 7518 is the beast to have! While searching for a router for hand-held projects, I ran across the Bosch mrc23evsk combo set. Funny thing, I can't find a single review for this (in my opinion) pricey ($310) router. Anyone who has one I would welcome your experience. I am looking at Porter Cable and Milwaukee as well. All recco's are welcome.

·
Official Greeter
19,737 Posts
Greetings

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Welcome.
JMO, but as long as you are planning to dedicate the 7518 to the table, good choice BTW, I'd find a variable speed plunge router for hand held work. Again, JMO, I can't see a need for a fixed base. I have a Freud FT3000 (overkill for me) and a Porter-Cable 693LRPK with two bases. I've never used the fixed base.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gene,
I edited my profile and added my location and name. Hopefully I did that correctly. I am still learning how to navigate this forum.

I saw the Freud 3000 looked quite impressive and it was almost an impulse buy for me. All the reviews I recall reading on the web were very positive about this router. It is an interesting router that for a 3 1/4 hp variable speed it only comes with a plunge base? I am not sure why a router this size would come only with a plunge base? It seems like too large a router for hand-held projects? It is now $200 everywhere and is very tempting at that price (I am not sure if that is just a holiday price). I also heard that Freud was bought out by Bosch. What that means I am not sure. What type of projects do you use your Freud 3000 for and how do you like it? Is it table mounted?

I am considering the Kreg precision router table w/the Kreg 420 router lift and the PC 7518. It also seems that some/many of the router lifts are designed around the PC 7518.

I assume the fixed base would be for dovetails? Or are you saying that the plunge base can serve for this as well. If so, I think I see your point. For hand-held projects I agree with having a variable rate. I stumbled across the Boch mrc23evsk (2 1/4hp variable speed) but can't find any info from whomever has bought one. I can't find any reviews. The one review I found on the web eludes me at the moment as I am not the greatest wed surfer ND I can't find it. When I read the review it seemed like a really great router. One of my friends has a PC 692 router (2 1/4hp) with a fixed and plunge base. I figured I would give it a test drive and see how it performed. Interestingly, the reviews I saw via amazon were very mixed on this model.

I agree that life is certainly too short for cheap tools. I have my eye on the Delta table saw ..oh how it seems so sweet! My boss has it and loves it! I just need a place to put it.

Eric,
Annandale VA

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

I have the router below (Red top Craftsman) and I would stack it up to the Bosch any day of the week and the Craftsman would come out on the top..plus it's loaded with many neat items, take on the brass guides right of the box, with built in lift on all 3 basses and lights for night driving :) or in the dark alleys we all go down from time to time :)

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

===========

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Eric, if you think that Bosch model is pricey, take a look at Festool:

;)

Although the major manufacturers occasionally produce a dud (or a model with a poorly engineered part), most are reliable and have similar basic features. The bottom-line choice is often a matter of which brand/model feels better in your hands and better fits your personal way of working.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi Eric, Welcome.
As you build & acquire more tools & projects you will find many uses for the router. I have about 15 now (I think) & will go to different ones for different uses. I use fixed bases all the time for simple edge profiling on projects. Many of the routers can be bought with both bases such as the Craftsman that Bob mentioned & the price quite reasonable. If just starting out, I would buy one of these kits so you are covered. Then maybe later add a trim router for the smaller work like small profiles. I hang doors frequently & use the small laminate trim routers often. One is used for mortising the hinges & the other is setup to mortise for the strike plates as they are different depths. Saves a lot of time on setup.

I prefer to use fixed base routers over plunge routers for dovetail work in my dovetail jig. I have a dedicated router for half-blind dovetails & never have to adjust the settings, so with a fixed base there is one less chance of the setting moving over a plunge router. If I bump the plunge lock on a plunge & the router height moves I will have ruined the joint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.