Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi Eric, Welcome.
As you build & acquire more tools & projects you will find many uses for the router. I have about 15 now (I think) & will go to different ones for different uses. I use fixed bases all the time for simple edge profiling on projects. Many of the routers can be bought with both bases such as the Craftsman that Bob mentioned & the price quite reasonable. If just starting out, I would buy one of these kits so you are covered. Then maybe later add a trim router for the smaller work like small profiles. I hang doors frequently & use the small laminate trim routers often. One is used for mortising the hinges & the other is setup to mortise for the strike plates as they are different depths. Saves a lot of time on setup.

I prefer to use fixed base routers over plunge routers for dovetail work in my dovetail jig. I have a dedicated router for half-blind dovetails & never have to adjust the settings, so with a fixed base there is one less chance of the setting moving over a plunge router. If I bump the plunge lock on a plunge & the router height moves I will have ruined the joint.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.