Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to mount a router to a aluminum mounting router table plate and I got the 3 holes almost perfect but slightly off. I tried to force one of the machine screws into the router where the plate would go in and it broke into my router at a bit of a depth. There’s no way to get it out is there? I can’t access it from the opposite side… my 200$ brand new router down the drain? Or is there any way to get it out?

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
It's probably cross threaded. You can find a screw removal tool for your power drill, reverse the drill. Drill a small starting depression in the stuck screw, then put the tip of the removal bit into the depression. It should back the screw out. The only problem will be if the threads in the base are damaged, you might not be able to put a new screw in it.

Lowes has an OK selection of fine screws, but you'll have to match threads exactly. Or order replacement screws from the manufacturer. You didn't say what brand router. But many in that price range, such as the venerable Bosch 1617, have a removable base, so you can change it out between fixed and plunge base. You can order a new base for the damaged one.

When drilling holes for mounting, it's a good idea to use the technique illustrated. A slightly oversized main hole and a larger, shallow hole on top of the first deep enough to lower the head of the screw below the surface. The oversized main opening allows for a little error. I always use a center punch before drilling. Tape the base down. Many plate makers make the holes pre drilled for most routers.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Dessert Rat for removal of the broken screw.
You might be able to find another location to drill and tap for a new screw. Most bases are aluminum which is relatively easy to work with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's probably cross threaded. You can find a screw removal tool for your power drill, reverse the drill. Drill a small starting depression in the stuck screw, then put the tip of the removal bit into the depression. It should back the screw out. The only problem will be if the threads in the base are damaged, you might not be able to put a new screw in it.

Lowes has an OK selection of fine screws, but you'll have to match threads exactly. Or order replacement screws from the manufacturer. You didn't say what brand router. But many in that price range, such as the venerable Bosch 1617, have a removable base, so you can change it out between fixed and plunge base. You can order a new base for the damaged one.

When drilling holes for mounting, it's a good idea to use the technique illustrated. A slightly oversized main hole and a larger, shallow hole on top of the first deep enough to lower the head of the screw below the surface. The oversized main opening allows for a little error. I always use a center punch before drilling. Tape the base down. Many plate makers make the holes pre drilled for most routers.
I was trying to mount a router to a aluminum mounting router table plate and I got the 3 holes almost perfect but slightly off. I tried to force one of the machine screws into the router where the plate would go in and it broke into my router at a bit of a depth. There’s no way to get it out is there? I can’t access it from the opposite side… my 200$ brand new router down the drain? Or is there any way to get it out?
If you own a drill press, the battle is half won.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts