Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my heart set on a Bosch 1617 EVSPK.

While searching Ebay I see that there is an EVSPK and an EVS. And I correct in thinking that the EVS does not include anything but the router and bases and that the EVSPK includes the accessories such as guides and who know what else?

I also see that the 1617 model comes in many differant hps...1-1/2, 2, 2-1/2, etc. I would have thought that a particular model would be a particular hp and a differant hp would indicate a differant model.

I am also now concidering watching for a fixed base router with the idea of buying a plunge base for it later. But I never see the plunge bases sold seperately on Ebay. I also may concider just buying an extra fixed base later instead of a plunge. I would like to have a pluge but if its a matter of not being able to afford the best maybe I should loosen up a little. Mostly, besides hoping to have a plunge, my greatest desire is a base mouted permanently in the table and a spare base for free hand routing.

Sorry to ramble on but its late at night and I have visions of routers dancing in my head. I'll appreciate any info you care to share.:help:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Welcome to the forum,sofasurfer! I have to tell you that if you can find a good deal, that January is a good time to buy. I have a Craftsman and It is a nice set-up. I also have a 5 year old Ryobi with the D-handle, standard, and plunge bases. I have found them to work very well for me. Only complaint is a little hard how to change bases. 1/2 in. model, that stays on the table saw plate, for now. Lots of good routers out there, You can search, and see them on the forum. If you would post a name, and location, it will be much easier to keep tabs on each other a bit easier!

·
Banned
510 Posts
I have my heart set on a Bosch 1617 EVSPK.

While searching Ebay I see that there is an EVSPK and an EVS. And I correct in thinking that the EVS does not include anything but the router and bases and that the EVSPK includes the accessories such as guides and who know what else?

I also see that the 1617 model comes in many differant hps...1-1/2, 2, 2-1/2, etc. I would have thought that a particular model would be a particular hp and a differant hp would indicate a differant model.

I am also now concidering watching for a fixed base router with the idea of buying a plunge base for it later. But I never see the plunge bases sold seperately on Ebay. I also may concider just buying an extra fixed base later instead of a plunge. I would like to have a pluge but if its a matter of not being able to afford the best maybe I should loosen up a little. Mostly, besides hoping to have a plunge, my greatest desire is a base mouted permanently in the table and a spare base for free hand routing.

Sorry to ramble on but its late at night and I have visions of routers dancing in my head. I'll appreciate any info you care to share.:help:
Welcome to the forum; there are many here who can assist you getting what you want to do with a router. Just a reminder; there is more that can be achieved when the router is held in the plunge mode check out the material below.
If you wish to contact me by email tomodonnell75(at)live(dot)com(dot)au and I may be able to answer any questions you want to put to me personally

Tom
(Template Tom)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a reconditioned Bosch 1617 with full warranty and like new condition for $170. Can I count on reconditioned as being as good as new? I bought my Ridgid planer as reconditioned at Lowes and it has been great.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can I count on reconditioned as being as good as new?
In a word no.

However many reconditioned tools are as good as new.

But some people will buy a tool use it on a job then return it for a full refund. That then gets sent back and "reconditioned". How well and how much gets done depends on the manufacture.

You also get the lemon that gets returned for good reason and will never be any good!

There is a reason why they are not full price. You have to take your chance and decide if you ore OK with it.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I found a reconditioned Bosch 1617 with full warranty and like new condition for $170. Can I count on reconditioned as being as good as new? I bought my Ridgid planer as reconditioned at Lowes and it has been great.
Jerome is right about the part that it depends on who you get it from. Lowes and HD both are listed as authorized outlets for reconditioned tools from some pretty decent mfg. I have half a dozen from an online outfit called CPO and have only had a couple of issues, both promptly resolved and neither really affected performance of the tool per se. One was shipping damage and the other was a defective part that held a safety guard. Most didn't look like they had been used at all and the one with the defective safety guard likely had never been assembled.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CPO is who I had in mind. But then Toolking has it for $10 more (new) and it has the "in table height adjustment" which is great but not nessessary, but then its also only 2HP. CPO is an awesome price if they are reputable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought the 1617evspk new in Mar. '02 for 240 Dollars. This was my first multi-base kit and I loved it, but rarely usd the stationary base as I already had a Makita in a table. as stationary bases go, I prefer "D" handles. But if you plan on using a dovetail or other jointery jigs, symmetrical stationary handles are much better than "D" handles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts