Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new 6x48" belt sander. The price ranges from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

I have two sanders right now with stands, one has parts that are just plain worn out and will be a real pain to replace. The other just doesn't have enough power to keep the belt turning with any pressure applied to it. We just adjusted the belt, but still a no go.

I think a bench sander would be fine as I can attach it to one of the stand that I currently have. I wont use the disc, so it not a factor. The big thing is the 6x48" belt size.

What are you recommendations for a good commercial sander that would be running for a couple hours a day on a slow day to 5-6 hours on a busy day?

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
948 Posts
What parts can you make yourself, can you just get a new motor for the one that won't turn? I know neither of those options are as nice as a new tool would be, but if you can get by on the cheap and still have 2 good sanders, the extra money can go for some sweet wood, or a tool that you don't yet have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What parts can you make yourself, can you just get a new motor for the one that won't turn? I know neither of those options are as nice as a new tool would be, but if you can get by on the cheap and still have 2 good sanders, the extra money can go for some sweet wood, or a tool that you don't yet have.

Good point. I can't make any of a the parts, but both motors turn fine. The one just doesn't have much power. Its a 1 HP, but it wont keep the sanding belt turning when you apply some pressure.

The other one needs new bushing on the front roller. I dont know if the shaft is worn, but there is a lot of play between the shaft and bushings. They should have been replaced years ago, but just didnt know how...but now its at the point that it need to be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
For a "new" motor, you may find a good deal on a used tool that you really don't want, or that isn't in very good condition, but all YOU'RE looking for is a motor upgrade so that's what you would be looking for, cheaper than buying a new motor, and often times cheaper than buying a used motor only.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Powermatic...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I think I will take a stroll down the fix it path and see where I end up. Then I will look at powermatic... building my own is probably not a path I will take, although interesting and Matthias' engineering and builds are always a joy to watch.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
If your belt sander does not run and bogs the belt down it would seem you have a drive problem. If the drive belt is stretched the belt will stop or bog down with even light pressure on the top of the belt. A 1HP motor should make a 6" x 48" belt drive just fine unless you are trying to grind metal. The 1 HP motor is ok adequate if it if it is working ok. You might try to get one of those link belts that are customizable. The link belts run smoother you can always remove a link to adjust. Most belt sanders have a limited amount of adjustment. If you decide to change the motor do not get one too big. Remember the whole system was designed around a 1 HP motor. Also check your drive pulley. Sometimes they have a set screw that is loose and is slipping and sometimes they are keyed and the key has sheared off. With the pulley loose and/or the key sheared the pulley may be slipping on the motor or belt drive shafts.

Replacing the whole sander for a new one is one way but it is always cheaper to fix. Rikon has a 6" x 48" sander as well as some already mentioned above. Stay away from Harbor Freight. Powermatic is nice but very expensive. Unless you are really making money with your sander it would seem best to rebuild or fix as required.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I got a 1.5 horse Leeson motor with less than a hours use on it that I'll sell real reasonable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am in the market for a new 6x48" belt sander. The price ranges from a couple hundred to a couple thousand.

What are you recommendations for a good commercial sander that would be running for a couple hours a day on a slow day to 5-6 hours on a busy day?

Thanks!
Brian
You are using this machine way more than a cheap hobby machine is built to take so you should be looking at light industrial. I do not think this size is available in full industrial. May be you should consider a bigger industrial machine? Used industrial is going very cheap these last few years. If you insist on 6x48, go for the models with 12'' disk rather than 9''. I have a King industrial older version that is direct motor drive and works quite well for a 1000$ machine. Are you using it horizontal or vertical?
Rob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.