Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so I ran a CNC department that was doing very similar things when I took over the department. The part was the inside arch of wooden doors. They were sized and coped, sent to us, bandsawed and then cnc’ed (trim and profile)…then sent back to machining to be pinned with dowels. It was ridiculous. It was changed to sized, coped and pinned by machining, and then sent to use for cutting and profiling with two heads of the CNC. Handing time dropped incredibly, and that is what you are after.

we had a vacuum table, but toggle clamps and fixtures work very well. Even if it requires a bit change, trimming all the parts and profiling separately will still save you machining and handling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so I ran a CNC department that was doing very similar things when I took over the department. The part was the inside arch of wooden doors. They were sized and coped, sent to us, bandsawed and then cnc’ed (trim and profile)…then sent back to machining to be pinned with dowels. It was ridiculous. It was changed to sized, coped and pinned by machining, and then sent to use for cutting and profiling with two heads of the CNC. Handing time dropped incredibly, and that is what you are after.

we had a vacuum table, but toggle clamps and fixtures work very well. Even if it requires a bit change, trimming all the parts and profiling separately will still save you machining and handling.
One caveat, this can certainly be done more quickly and easier on a CNC…but there are plenty of other processes that are faster on other machines. Just because it can be cnc’ed doesn’t mean it should. Afterwards our backwards boss wanted everything Cnc’ed which led to delays, bottlenecks and ultimately the closure of the company. It is about saving time, not just running the machine…which is how he thought it worked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts