Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
The chatter might be caused by looseness in the CNC itself. Make sure all the bolts and screws are tight, check to make sure the drive screw nuts aren't worn and need to be replaced, make sure the drive rails are clean and properly lubricated, and check the bearings in the spindle to make sure they are not creating excessive runout, tram the spindle, and skim the spoil board to make sure it is flat to the spindle.

I would also consider cutting out the parts using the CNC instead of using the band saw. You could be cutting several parts with a single toolpath, or use 2 sided carving to do the whole project except the cleanup and sanding.

If the boss wants the roundover done on the CNC then I would set up the file so it is a 2 sided project. Cut the roundover on one side using a point cutting roundover bit, then change bits to a spiral endmill, cut alignment/index holes for dowels, then remove the board. Cut alignment/index holes in the spoil board, locate the board on the spoil board face down using dowels. Then change back to the point cutting roundover bit and run the toolpath for that side. Change to the spiral endmill and run the cutout toolpath. Sand the parts. Now that you have the alignment/index hols in the spoil board you can pull the dowels, locate the board, cut the alignment holes in the board, change bits, flip the board and locate using the spoil board alignment holes and dowels, cut the roundover toolpath, change bits and run the cutout toolpath. You are now ready for the next board .......

The number of parts you can cut at one time depends on how big your CNC work area is and how creative you are. You could actually set up several boards at one time and just use the four toolpaths, board alignment, roundover, roundover, cutout, and have a lot of parts cut per run. Cleanup can be done while the machine is culling more parts.

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
Chatter can also be caused by inadequate clamping if the part is not held tight.

Remember you are cutting these out using a band saw, then putting them on the CNC to be trimmed to the finished size, then using the shaper to add the bullnose profile, and finally finish sanding. All of the parts produced like this are individual parts.

Using the CNC to do the roundovers and cutouts on several parts at the same time only leaves the finished sanding to do. Someone would have to set up the boards on the machine, change out bits when needed, flip the boards, and remove the parts when finished, but that person can be doing the final sanding while the machine is running cutting more parts. Once it is set up and the operator gets used to running the CNC I think it would more productive because it would free up some workers to work on other jobs.

I guess it all depends on what size work are your CNC machine has and the size of the boards and part size to how many you can cut at one time. You never gave that information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.