Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my thinking correct you need the pro version to learn sketch up?
Look at this a survey of those who have learned how to use sketch up
with the free version or pro version let me know which camp you are in.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The Free Version works for me.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I learned on the free version and see no need to foot the cost for the "pro" version just for a few more bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I use the free version. There aren't many 'extra' bits on the pro for a hobbyist or even a woodworker. Unless you're designing the enitre exterior and interior of a tower block :D

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
I've been using the free version of Sketchup since about 2003 and haven't had any need for the Pro version.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
free for me...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I learned 3-D CAD on Microstation at work. Microstation is extremely powerful (and expensive), but also difficult to learn. Having had that experience, it seems like Sketchup reads my mind. It is very intuitive. A Godsend to have it available for free.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Free version for me. Jays custom creations web site has useful tutorials for beginners.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I don't like it or dis like it. I tried to learn it a couple of times and fell asleep,and when I awoke couldn't remember what I had been doing.

I don't really need it and have gotten along all these years without it so I'm happy.

Herb
I'm with Herb on this one. I've made several half hearted attempts to learn it and keep saying I'll get to it again one of these rainy winters.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Stoops
I don't like it or dis like it. I tried to learn it a couple of times and fell asleep,and when I awoke couldn't remember what I had been doing.
I don't really need it and have gotten along all these years without it so I'm happy.
Herb

Great Herb! At least, now I Know how to cure my insomnia! Lol!!!!
Sid.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I have used the free version and don't need the pro version. The pro version would definitely be over kill for the average user. There are plenty of tutorials on the use of Sketchup to get you started and go beyond. I downloaded the newer version the other day but have not found any differences yet, I'm sure there are a few that I will find while using it but I was not looking for anymore functionality out of the free version just updating to fix bugs if there were any.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Get the free version (hey, its free!_)

Make sure you CAN learn it, then move onto the pro.
I couldnt get to grips with the free, but then I have a very short patience tolerance (lol)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts