Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try to re-create a clock I saw on the web. It has a front door like a cupboard door (stile and rail).
I only have 1/4" routers, single speed. I am trying to "work around" the need for stile and rail bits. I only want the inside rounded over, no fancy profile. I was thinking of trying a 1/4"r. round over bit in combo with a cove, but I couldn't wrap my mind around how to set it up and keep the rail the exact length. Am I dreaming? Is this possible, or should I just round over the opening and use a file to clean up the corners?
I could not get pic to post, or even write down the address of the pic, sorry.
TIA

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new router :) You could make a nice door for a clock with 1/4 shank straight and other bits if you have a router table. Just put the groove down the middle on the rails and stiles and then put your tenons on. How you treat the inside edge is the tricky part as you have to do the edges before assembly and that could be real tricky. You could use mortise and tenon joints and then put the glass in a rabbet in the back.

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi skypn

Just one more way to get the job don't . :)

Send off for the bit set below, once you get it then pop it in your 1/4" router ,start with some 4 1/2" TO 5" wide stock (need two boards) clamp the stock to the work bench, do both side and ends of the stock,on one of the boards,use wide stock to help support the router, once you have that done take the stock to the table saw and rip the stock to the right size.

If you want to put in a small panel see the same web page for a small 1/4" shank panel cutter set ,that have 2 bits in the set,and do the same thing, clamp and route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-pc-1-4-Shank-...9742567QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50386QQcmdZViewItem

NOTE***print out the eBay web page it will show you how to setup the bit and how to use them.

Bj :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Thanks Corey

I know what you mean "excuses to tool up the shop" I just saw a hole cutter (door set) for 5.oo bucks + 7.oo for shipping and I order it :)....I'm always making knobs, the normal hole saw cutter fills up with saw dust from the MDF/hardwood I use all the time and this hole cutter should do a better job with that error, :) if not I have a new door set for 12.oo bucks,that's hard to beat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=130099637002&rd=1&rd=1

Bj :)

·
2,392 Posts
skypn said:
I am going to try to re-create a clock I saw on the web. It has a front door like a cupboard door (stile and rail).
I only have 1/4" routers, single speed. I am trying to "work around" the need for stile and rail bits. I only want the inside rounded over, no fancy profile. I was thinking of trying a 1/4"r. round over bit in combo with a cove, but I couldn't wrap my mind around how to set it up and keep the rail the exact length. Am I dreaming? Is this possible, or should I just round over the opening and use a file to clean up the corners?
I could not get pic to post, or even write down the address of the pic, sorry.
TIA
Not sure if you have the stile/rail bits too... but...
I think I'd try Half-Lapped corners for the rail/stiles... would mark about 1/4" in from each inside corner... then route your edge preference only UP TO those marks on the insides of the rail/stiles... then, glue them up for the door.

... and just experiment with your edge treatments...

I think you have to post abt 10 times before you will be able to post pics & links... So, post post post & get it over with! :) :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.