Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had Skype for many years and never had problems setting-up or using it. Skype have just replaced the version that I had and replaced it with their latest version 8. Apart from everything being different my biggest problem is that I can't find any way to set the speakers for ringing and the headset for conversations. It's impossible to speak to anyone at Skype. Help will be appreciated, alternatively is there a similar VOIP system available? This screen shot shows the only audio adjustments that I can find.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Harry, from your screenshot, you are using Windows, so I don't know if this will help. On a Mac, the alerts are set in the System Preferences, i.e. Skype uses the Mac settings rather than have its own (but the speech is still Skype controlled). it is also possible to set the screen to flash woth an incoming call.
Check "alerts" in the help menu. I will look up on my Windows laptop at the office tomorrow.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Harry, looks like Skype has offloaded some controls to Windows, as it has in MacOS.

Try this link

The Skype help file was underwhelming.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your suggestions, the video still didn't show how to set the speakers for ringing and the headset for listening to the other party, whereas all previous versions did. I eventually found a place to send a complaint to but thus far I haven't had a reply. To be continued.

Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not surprisingly I haven't heard back from Skype/Microsoft, however my granddaughter's husband called to see us today, he works at the same place as my son, looking after the ABC's transmitters and he told me that Microsoft are concentrating on the business version of Skype and so are removing everything that's not required for business, hence the removal of the ability to set speakers and headset separately. He knows this because his company, a national one, has just removed all the internal phones and Skype is on all technician's cell phones. It means of course that a phone call to the company can't be transferred to any individual! You may wonder why I didn't ask my son, he is sailing on the Queen Elizabeth from South Africa back here to Perth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts