Router Forums banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
Rick
17,564 Posts
I now have so many things going on that I can't find the energy to do them. I have a BIG yard sale coming up. I am building a 1,200 sq. ft. extension onto FrankenBarn. I have started a Facebook Drone Owners Group. (Gosh, they're addictive!) I am setting up to teach classes using the PlasmaCam line of CNC tables and software that runs them. I have to start setting up Christmas decorations. I am buying a forklift to help me move things around... I am forcing myself to get up and get moving. It is difficult, but I am accomplishing things!

Joe

Wow I need a nap just thinking about all that lol . In my case my home renovations are going to keep me broke and busy till I die

·
Registered
20,855 Posts
I have come to see that life shows up the way you say it will. This is not magical thinking, but an actual brain function of a region called the Reticular Formation. Its job is to attend to whatever you direct it too. For example: Look around the room you're in and see all the red. A lot of it, right. Take a moment and identify all the RED.

Now, notice all the blue. All of a sudden it is everywhere, correct?

And when you noticed all the blue, did you notice that the red disappeared or was quite suppressed? That is the Reticular formation in action.

So, when you intentionally look for something, or even an attitude toward the day in front of you, yoyu will find it. It was always there, as in opportunity, something needing doing, something you love, if you say so. Problem is most of us simply don't say, or are very careless about our saying--whatever, so we get what we say we'll get. Not magical, not woo woo stuff, but brain function of the human being in, or not, in action.

Not waxing philosophical here, but this is all about how to make life great. Pick something that matters to you and look for something in that arena. And you do that by saying so. So, say. (BTW, we teach a portion of our consultation called "The Secret of the Universe," We call it that because it is.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Tom, so true. I don't know the science behind it but there's a bit of common sense here that some of us (yeah, me too) miss. Many years ago, a psychologist friend of mine told me something so simple, and so obvious, that it changed the way I think. It goes like this, "The way you feel right now is based on what you are thinking right now. If you are having depressing thoughts, you will be depressed. If you're having happy thoughts, you'll feel happy. If you control what you're thinking you'll control how you're feeling." Obvious, right? Not for a lot of people, me included. If i start down the path of thinking about the "dark side" I have too recognize it and pull myself out of it by changing what i'm thinking about. Not always easy. This goes back to the original question that Roger asked about motivation. There are days when I just don't feel like working in the shop. Sometimes there's a good reason so it's ok. But other days it's more a matter of dragging my butt downstairs and getting to work. On those days, i try to focus on a part of the project that i'm looking forward to. Sometimes it's just finishing it, other times it's trying something new that I've been thinking about. Other times it might simply be the thought of "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning." Then again, maybe I just need a better dust collector :)

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Registered
20,855 Posts
@Barry747 A small difference is helpful. Maybe instead of saying thoughts you are having, you say, thoughts you are entertaining. That seems to help some. Entertaining means you are directing your thoughts rather than having them washing uncontrolled over you. People don't really pay much attention, but language is a very important operator on the brain, and therefore a person. Someone I knew said, language gives you being (being human that is), so language will also give you mood, attitude, problems and solutions, boredom and elation, fun and gloom. I like this philosophical stuff, particularly when it is useful. I see a brand spanking new bandsaw in my immediate future.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Tom, I agree with your statement about language. However, I prefer to use "having", for the reason you stated. All thoughts are not necessarily controlled, especially negative ones. The challenge is to recognize the negative and bring them under control and turn them around, as much as possible, to positive.

A somewhat simple example is what my wife are I are going through right now. We have, after a year and half, finally sold our home in the Philly suburbs and are contemplating a down size move to the west coast of Florida. We are headed to FL tomorrow to find a place to rent until we're sure that we want to settle there. Packing has been overwhelming. We have "stuff" going back 60 years, 71 is you include a pair of my baby shoes, that has accumulated from my wife, myself, four children and a mother-in-law who moved from a 6 bedroom home and various apartments until she ended up in a nursing facility. A month ago when it looked like the sale would go through, I looked around our basement and came close pretty close to a having a panic attack. The space is almost 1,000 square feet, all of the walls are lined with shelving and there were piles in front of all the shelves that just left a narrow walkway around the basement. My shop is one corner, and has, like most everyone's shop, stuff I haven't used in years but am afraid to throw away because I might need it. My scrap bins has bits and pieces that go back 12 years from when I first started to get serious about woodworking as a hobby.

Now, to the point. In terms of the shop, I was able to mentally take a step back, and think about what I wanted my new shop to look like once we're settled. It will be a one car garage sized shop. I then thought about what projects I want to make in the future. That changed the depressing feeling of being overwhelmed, facing all that accumulated "stuff", to a more optimistic outlook because I was able to focus what i would need in my new shop. As I began throwing things out, it became easier and made me feel much better about the whole thing.

I know this is a very simplistic example of why i used the word "having" rather another word. In the end, if using the word "entertaining", or any other word, helps anyone else realize that they can control what they are thinking and helps to change their mood than I have accomplished what i set out to do in this thread.

Now, it's back to the basement to finish 4 cutting boards that are in work. As soon as i'm done the rest of the shop can be packed up and, with about 30 days until settlement, i don't have much time to lose.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The Drone Group was a flop. It is the old story ... "Who will help me till the field? Who will help me plant the wheat? Who will help me harvest the crop? Who will help me bake the bread? NO ONE responds.

Then you ask, "Who will help me eat the bread?" and everyone rushes to get a seat at the table! No one wants to work for anything these days. Everyone wants a handout.

I have since added three more drones to my collection. Two DJI Phantom 4s, a Mavic Pro, and most recently, a Splash Drone which is amphibious, and can land on water and launch from it, as well as see under water with the 4K camera. Sadly, there is little time to fly them.

Coming back to this post, things have morphed into new goals in the past several months.

Halloween came and went without notice. I didn't make even one un-dead zombie.

I am currently trying to buy a commercial building on the old town square. I am adding machinery to my shop too. A parts washer, and a brush machine to clean off metal.

The expansion to the metal shop is coming along too.

Joe

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"My shop is one corner, and has, like most everyone's shop, stuff I haven't used in years but am afraid to throw away because I might need it"
-Barry
They'll be putting that on my tombstone.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I made three bids on this building, which is a brick structure on the old, historic courthouse square at the center of town. We are going to dive into a bigger retail presence and go for it! The owner has tentatively accepted my final bid. My Realtor is working out the details. I may be in this building next week.

It has unfinished space upstairs. It could be a really nice apartment, or a community meeting room, or ???

Lots to do, and SCARY, to dump that much money into an idea. I hope it works!

Joe

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good luck Joe.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dan, about motivation and throwing "stuff" away. It's been well over a year since my last post to this thread. In brief, we rented a house in Sarasota, FL for 7 months, to be sure we liked living in FL, then bought a home last July. This gave me the chance to move and reconfigure my shop twice. The thought at the time was a bit overwhelming but, along with the rest of the move, I chose to look at it as an "opportunity". Downsizing was difficult since we had no choice but to get rid of things. In retrospect, it was a good experience. My wife and I made an agreement, excluding my shop for the moment, that after one year in the house we will look at everything that remained in boxes and, unless we had a compelling reason, we would either sell it, donate it or trash it. We've been in the house 7 months now and we just reaffirmed our commitment to do that.

About my shop. It's so easy to accumulate things in the shop because we acquire things a little at a time. When we get something new we find a place for it and move on. How many of us periodically go through our shops and say, "I don't need that so I'll get rid of it"? I envy you if you do. I'm moving in that direction, partly because of the moves and partly because of 2 experiences I recently had. The first involved a plumber. We had a plumber install a new garbage disposal for us. After he was finished, I went into my shop and pulled out a small plastic drawer that was full of various sized rubber washers. I offered them to him and he chuckled and said he had just thrown out a bunch of them since they aren't used anymore. Now, if a plumber, who's job it is to repair old faucets, has no need for them, why am I still holding on to them? The second experience involved a jig saw. I had an Craftsman jig saw, around 45 years old, that I rarely used because it was difficult to adjust to get a good cut. I used it for rough cuts and only rarely. I had to make some cutouts in a box (I'm going to post about that soon) so I treated myself and bought a new Bosch jig saw about a month ago. Wow, what a difference. I've used that more in the month that I've had it than the old one in the last 2 years. So, the question arises, why did I keep something that didn't work well? I chalk it up to inertia.

Sorry for the long post but I think it supports my first response to the original question about motivation. What you're thinking controls what you're feeling. Is it a problem or is it an opportunity? Most of my life I've looked at the problems. In my old age I'm beginning to looking at opportunities. Although I'm still having some problems with that :)

·
Registered
20,855 Posts
Finish and rent out the apartment. Many folks would love to live in a situation like that. There's a town square in Orange, CA (used to live there), that has upstairs apartments and people wait for years to move in. Some have converted into law offices. But you need to have a separate stairway going up. Marketing is still the key, you get busy making and setting stuff up and forget to market. But marketing is far more important than anything else. Social network marketing is a good idea and cheap dollar wise.

Usually it takes an intense initial effort that can last months, even years, then you gain a certain momentum that requires somewhat less effort, but things can still go south pretty fast if you stop marketing efforts. Have a great and very fun grand opening. Invite a local celebrity to come, maybe someone like a local radio personality everyone knows.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We are trying to come up with a name.

My business is http://www.aguyintown.com I didn't want to be "Joe's Sign Shop" or "Joe's Metal Art" ... I want people to see something I made and ask the person, "WHERE did you get that!? I want one!" to which they would reply, "Oh, I got it from A Guy In Town! ... If you want one go talk to A Guy In Town ... "

The hobby shop in which I now occupy a small, dark back room to display my metal art and signs is called "Crafts and Kustoms" They sell automobile themed items; Hot Wheels, die cast cars, collectibles, rare hub caps, etc. etc.

In this store, we will also bring in two or three (or more?) outside sources of quality items ... maybe someone who makes coo-coo clocks or bird houses or furniture out of old barn wood, maybe someone who welds gears and chains into "Steam Punk" lamps and fixtures ... maybe someone who is talented in making things out of glass or mirrors ... who knows.

I definitely DON'T want this place to look like a thrift store or a Pick-n-Save. I want people to walk in and be blown away by what they see inside. I want people to start saying, "If you ever visit Franklin, Ky., you MUST check out ... (Name of Store)"

OF COURSE, my CNC router table will play a big part in this story!

Joe

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If you're looking for some name ideas, check out Yellow Page adverts in large cities. Try not to think of it as plagiarism... ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Whats wrong with " A Guy in Town " ??
It's different & unique. Catchy.

Boring day today....

Blackened steel letters? Let them rust.

Beat part, the awning gets rusted if not coated/sealed

just a thought

Attachments

·
Registered
20,855 Posts
I like a guy in town, but there should be something more specific as a kicker. For example, Practical Arts on one side, Wood, Metal, Glass & Gifts on the other. I'd avoid the word Crafts because so many men hate it when wives go into such stores.
Lasting treasures.
Surprises & Treasures Inc.
Find It Here
Just musing about names.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts