Router Forums banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That name is very non descript. You'll need something that is visible and identifies what you do like signs once did. For example, shoe repair businesses had a boot hanging off a pole, barbers had the spiral pole, apothecaries had a mortar and pestle, etc. You need something that shows what the Guy in Town does.

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
That name is very non descript. You'll need something that is visible and identifies what you do like signs once did. For example, shoe repair businesses had a boot hanging off a pole, barbers had the spiral pole, apothecaries had a mortar and pestle, etc. You need something that shows what the Guy in Town does.
Good example.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I do like "A Guy In Town" I need a good graphic artist to draw a logo that implies the fabrication of a sign out of raw material.

Arts and Parts

Metal Arts and Metal Parts

Artsy Partsy (Metal Art and items made from car parts)

Look At That (Signs, Metal Art, Wall Decor, etc.)

Franklin Collectibles.

The Art House

There is already a place in Bowling Green called Metals N' More. That would have been a good name.

Joe

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"Look at That" is clever.
'Art's Place'
'Steel By design'
'Steely Joe'
'Be Steel My Heart'
'Cold Steel'
'Feel the Steel'
'Tin Here'
...I'm steel theenking!

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
This would work.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Custom Metal Designs? Custom Metal Art?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I do like "A Guy In Town" I need a good graphic artist to draw a logo that implies the fabrication of a sign out of raw material.

No:
A̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶t̶s̶̶̶
M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶A̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶t̶s̶̶̶
A̶r̶t̶s̶y̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶t̶s̶y̶ ̶ ̶(̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶A̶r̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶s̶)̶
L̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶A̶t̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶ ̶(̶S̶i̶g̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶A̶r̶t̶,̶ ̶W̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶D̶e̶c̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶e̶t̶c̶.̶)̶̶
F̶r̶a̶n̶k̶l̶i̶n̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶l̶e̶c̶t̶i̶b̶l̶e̶s̶.̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶r̶t̶ ̶H̶o̶u̶s̶e̶

There is already a place in Bowling Green called Metals N' More. That would have been a good name.

Joe
I think A Guy in Town would get people talking.
Where'd ya get that? From a Guy in town. Well duh, where? A Guy in town that's the name.
Crazy metal work being made over there.
It's an offbeat catchy name and gets people well i cant explain it.

We're always looking around and seeing the same old thing.
It's refreshing to see something different and even if you
dont get it at first, you will and curiosity will take over.

Metals N' More sounds thrifty and those others seem like you're
suspended in thought or trying.

As for the sign, make it in the raw materials you work with.

Your logo is fine on the website, maybe a lil tweak here & there.

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
Yard Art Supreme is all I can come up with, so you 're on your own.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Fabricators R Us

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I ran a motorcycle towing service in southern CommieFornia for 13 years. I struggled over the name for days, until it occurred to me that BIKE TOW would be a good name! The website biketow.com was available, and the toll free number 877-biketow was also available. I later acquired 888-biketow and 866, and 855 biketow, with thoughts of expanding across the country, but I never did.

I need to step back and let the subconscious mind work on it. I will probably be jolted awake in the night with the perfect name/

Joe

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hey A Guy in Town...
@The Hobbyist

Joe, spring is coming. Make some wind chimes. Giant ones also.

Can you plasma on a rotary lathe setup?
I have a pipe cutter attachment so I can cut round shapes. Wind chimes ... BIG ones ... I would need to find out what tubing gives the cleanest ring tones.

I heard of a man in Oregon who worked for a power company. He made wind chimes in the 60 to 80 foot range, out of discarded utility poles. He used a truck wheel at the center hammer. It was said you could hear them for miles, but I have never seen them.

There is one guy who made the "singing tree." He mounted dozens of tubes cut to specific lengths, with ends that catch the wind and cause the tube to put out a tone similar to how you blow into a flute. The tones changed with the direction of the wind, and the tubes were tunes like piano keys, so the chords were pleasant to hear.

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a pipe cutter attachment so I can cut round shapes. Wind chimes ... BIG ones ... I would need to find out what tubing gives the cleanest ring tones.

I heard of a man in Oregon who worked for a power company. He made wind chimes in the 60 to 80 foot range, out of discarded utility poles. He used a truck wheel at the center hammer. It was said you could hear them for miles, but I have never seen them.

There is one guy who made the "singing tree." He mounted dozens of tubes cut to specific lengths, with ends that catch the wind and cause the tube to put out a tone similar to how you blow into a flute. The tones changed with the direction of the wind, and the tubes were tunes like piano keys, so the chords were pleasant to hear.

Joe
I've made a bunch over the years w/ aluminum tube
didnt bother with a finish because
#1 they sounded nice, didnt feel like taking them down
#2 didnt finish them off
#3 they get ugly w/ the clunker hitting them alot w/ no matter what you use.

I plan to do them again, this time bamboo. That has a nice sound.
Also cut 1000's of copper pieces and let the wind hit it.

I've noticed on the alum ones I make if I drill the holes
to hang at around 22.5% from the top, the tone goes for a while.
Not sure of the correct percent but thats what I seem to find works.

You can get the tone simply by holding the pole w/ 2 fingers and tap it
until it sounds cool enough for ya. Get a measurement and go from there.

They dont have to be poles either. Pretty much anything can work to make a sound.
Best of all a decorative sound.

Please no PVC pipes

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I wonder ... if you make a tube that has a clear tone, and hang it at exactly 22.4%, on a steel tube that supports it at 22.4% from one end with a counter-balance weight, could the vibrations get BOTH tubes singing in harmony? The mind wanders ...

Joe

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
If you're gonna make wind chimes, might as well make WIND CHIMES.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
A couple of people at the local farmer's markets sell chimes cut from old gas bottles, typically 6" in diameter. Quite pleasant.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts