Router Forums banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
A couple of people at the local farmer's markets sell chimes cut from old gas bottles, typically 6" in diameter. Quite pleasant.
Unless you get a stiff wind, then quite unpleasant. Any size wind chimes tend to irritate me after 2 or 3 minutes.

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Unless you get a stiff wind, then quite unpleasant. Any size wind chimes tend to irritate me after 2 or 3 minutes.
Agree on the irritating sounds These ones are VERY heavy and designed more to be a gong than a chime. If the wind is stiff enough to ring them I don't care to be out there. :smile:

·
Registered
Theo
7,185 Posts
@JOAT if you not into breaking wind with pipes, you could always make whirligigs
I been looking for how to make bagpipes. Figure that way I can have fun, while still irritating the neighbors. :grin:
Maybe even start my own band.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A couple of people at the local farmer's markets sell chimes cut from old gas bottles, typically 6" in diameter. Quite pleasant.
Wow, i bet that glass must have been pretty thick.

Whats neat is the difference in tones when using
say wood, plastic or metal.
Bamboo has a nice tone as well a bunch of sea shells.

I wonder ... if you make a tube that has a clear tone, and hang it at exactly 22.4%, on a steel tube that supports it at 22.4% from one end with a counter-balance weight, could the vibrations get BOTH tubes singing in harmony? The mind wanders ...
Dont know about that but what I wonder is if at the bottoms
of the cylinders of the same length, do they make different sounds
if cut at angles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two shops, packed with a myriad of tools and machines. I like to work with my hands to create things. Lately, I haven't even been motivated to walk out to the shops to start something. I have a serious lack of motivation I can't seem to overcome.

Christmas is coming, and normally I would be out there creating all sorts of Christmas and holiday decorations to sell or more likely, give away. I spend time on Pinterest.com looking at all of the "eye candy," and pick things I know I can produce, or modify in some manner. Nothing seems challenging.

I have the ability. I just don't have the motivation. :frown:
Which Cnc do you have

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
"Look at That" is clever.
'Art's Place'
'Steel By design'
'Steely Joe'
'Be Steel My Heart'
'Cold Steel'
'Feel the Steel'
'Tin Here'
...I'm steel theenking!
I like those! This is an old thread, and a LOT has transpired since the original posts...

I bought, remodeled, upgraded and improved that store before selling it only a year later. It probably would have worked. I blame myself for my lack of conviction. Now we have this zombie apocalypse to deal with ... I am glad it is off my plate.

Joe

81 - 89 of 89 Posts