Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I had soaked a solid carbide bit in regular Simple Green I read that this is a no-no....supposedly leeches the carbide from the bit. Simple Green does have another product which is ok to use.
The bit lost is shiny color and I'm wondering if it is unsafe to use.
Anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have been using simple green on bits and blades for years with no problems. I don't soak them just use a brass brush and the solvent, then blow them with air and oil them. I have read you are supposed to use simple purple for carbide.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I should have been clearer. I am not advocating using simple green, use the purple. I was just saying I have not had a problem, but I now use the PURPLE, better yet order the cleaning kit from Rockler.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Trend bit cleaner works and is harmless to you and the bit. I believe CMT makes a cleaner also.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have been using Simple Green or Mean Green, I soak for a couple of minutes and then use a brass bristle brush from Harbor Freight, rinse then spray with WD40 and it works great. Have used this method for several years on my carbide saw blades and now on my router bits.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Trend. Tried the Rockler, no comparison. Going back to Trend. If I were to use some of the household products or alchemy methods I doubt i'd save a dollar or two per year (and I clean a lot) so...Trend.
earl

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Bob; the issue isn't that it doesn't work, it does! The problem as stated by the manufacturer...see my link in my previous comment...is that it corrupts the Carbide!
Since even Simple Green makes a safe alternative, recommended by them, why risk damaging your Carbide?

·
Registered
575 Posts
From the Simple Green site. "Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner should not be used to soak saw blades for any period of time. Any application other than spray and wipe is not recommended." So I guess spray and wipe is ok, sorry to disappoint you all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ammonia.........soak and crud comes right off, no ill effects that I have seen or heard about and you can get a gallon for .99 cents.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
From the Simple Green site. "Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner should not be used to soak saw blades for any period of time. Any application other than spray and wipe is not recommended." So I guess spray and wipe is ok, sorry to disappoint you all.
so move to the head of the class and use Purple or Aviation Green instead...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Ammonia.........soak and crud comes right off, no ill effects that I have seen or heard about and you can get a gallon for .99 cents.
rarely is the carbide effected/affected.... it is the brazing that is at risk...
so why use a cleaner that is unproven and pose health risks just to save a couple of bucks and possibly ruin hundreds of dollars in saw blades...
forest for the trees...
that's some poor and dangerous economics...
but do as you wish...

for everybody else....
soak your cutters in Trend...
reuse the cleaner on the next batch of cutters and the next and so on... make your investment work for you...
no need to discard the cleaner after cleaning, clean up the cleaner by running it through a paper coffee filter or paint filter/strainer cones...
if you clean often or a lot use a pie saver container... they have sealable lids....

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Trend bit cleaner works and is harmless to you and the bit. I believe CMT makes a cleaner also.
Yup...I use the CMT...it's available close to me...

Works like a charm...squirt it on, by the time you prep the rag to wipe it off, it's clean...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks for the link. As with many things, the cleaner doesn't ship to Canada - typical of our overzealous governments I suppose.
I will have to ask my local tool store if they have some.
So it would seem that Simple Green is neither simple nor green?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I take it that this is available locally somewhere Dan?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts