Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just surfing the web for inspiration on a few projects. Along the way I ran across this chess set. Can't recall the site just now, but they are asking $54.50 for one of these sets, and I forgot to check the shipping price. I would be ashamed to ask that much for a set like this one. Oh it's nice enough, but nowhere worth that much. Something like this is something I would like to make, along with a board, to donate to Toys For Tots. But I'm thinking stamp the pieces on round wooden discs, enough to make a checkerboard set, so you wind up with a set of chess pieces in the mix. I've even got a set of rubber stamps, cost me about $8 if I recall right. And, if I can find that dratted stamp set, I figure on doing just that. I wouldn't mind selling a few too, but I think somewhere in the $10-15 range, including a board, would be a reasonable price. Heck, could likely make money at $5 a set.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
dream on...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Was just surfing the web for inspiration on a few projects. Along the way I ran across this chess set. Can't recall the site just now, but they are asking $54.50 for one of these sets, and I forgot to check the shipping price. I would be ashamed to ask that much for a set like this one. Oh it's nice enough, but nowhere worth that much. Something like this is something I would like to make, along with a board, to donate to Toys For Tots. But I'm thinking stamp the pieces on round wooden discs, enough to make a checkerboard set, so you wind up with a set of chess pieces in the mix. I've even got a set of rubber stamps, cost me about $8 if I recall right. And, if I can find that dratted stamp set, I figure on doing just that. I wouldn't mind selling a few too, but I think somewhere in the $10-15 range, including a board, would be a reasonable price. Heck, could likely make money at $5 a set.
Would shipping be extra?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Theo I don't think your target price would even include no money for your time.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Theo, I figure that at 5 bucks you'd probably lose $10 to $20 per set. Consider that you'd have to have finished edges even if you make the board of painted ply. You'll need to find a dense hardwood dowel so you couls stamp some sort of logo on each checker piece, then there's making a jig so the stamp is properly centered on each piece, then some sort of package, and child safe paint all round. Plus an hour or so per set to make them.

And knowing you, Theo, you'd probably want to make the board like an endgrain cutting board out of exotic wood. You could make a large number at once and resaw thin pieces, but they'd need to be glued to some backing for strength.

If you're going to donate these, great, but the mistake everyone makes is to charge too little. No one values cheap stuff and a rediculously low price screams cheap.

I'd not buy a chess set like this, but it would appeal to someone as a decorative piece, particularly because each piece has legal moves printed on top.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Is it mass produced, or is this a maker trying to give it a go at making something? If it is the latter, frankly, I applaud the maker for giving it a go. While it may not be of interest to you, others will gladly pay for it.

It is this same attitude that send people over to Ikea to buy their crappy furniture that will fall apart after the first time the piece gets moved, vs paying for something that was made with real quality that will last generations by a woodworker.

I say let the market be the judge. If the maker finds a niche that is willing to pay for it, I say well done! If not, then it is up to him to find something else that will work. If you or someone else thinks they can do something similar for less, and be profitable, then I say put your money where your mouth is, and do it.

It is this attitude why I stopped doing web work on the side, and why I have been resistant to start selling my own work. People want you to work for free, or less.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
People want you to work for free, or less.
And it didn't just start yesterday. Back in the early 80's, my dad and I bid on some work for the local city to renovate several houses. Needless to say we didn't get the job. We found out later that some guys from????(Haiti, Puerto Rico or somewhere, I forgot), got the jobs and always do because they work for peanuts...and the City likes the low bidder.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Low bidder? An astronaut was asked what is last thoughts were just before lift off. He replied all he could think of was the rocket was built by the lowest bidder.
That chess set looks like something that was made in a third grade class.

Off topic- Did you hear about the elephant who packed his trunk and quit the circus? He got tired of working for peanuts. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Is it mass produced, or is this a maker trying to give it a go at making something? If it is the latter, frankly, I applaud the maker for giving it a go. While it may not be of interest to you, others will gladly pay for it.

It is this same attitude that send people over to Ikea to buy their crappy furniture that will fall apart after the first time the piece gets moved, vs paying for something that was made with real quality that will last generations by a woodworker.

I say let the market be the judge. If the maker finds a niche that is willing to pay for it, I say well done! If not, then it is up to him to find something else that will work. If you or someone else thinks they can do something similar for less, and be profitable, then I say put your money where your mouth is, and do it.

It is this attitude why I stopped doing web work on the side, and why I have been resistant to start selling my own work. People want you to work for free, or less.
Great post ;)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I pay $2.50 for a cup of coffee at basically any decent coffee shop up here...I'm not talking about Timmie's or McDonald's.
The least expensive input into that price is the coffee itself. Rent, Bank interest, labour, taxes (Municipal, Provincial, and Federal), Workers Comp, Insurance, Bookkeeping/Accountant, eat up the vast majority of the price, and I didn't even include profit.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Low bidder? An astronaut was asked what is last thoughts were just before lift off. He replied all he could think of was the rocket was built by the lowest bidder.
That chess set looks like something that was made in a third grade class.

Off topic- Did you hear about the elephant who packed his trunk and quit the circus? He got tired of working for peanuts. :laugh2:[/QUOTE]

Here we are going to that direction. Nowadays is cheaper to stay at home than go to the work. Paying meals, transportation fares and related things are more expensive than our daily salaries.:surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add in the rubber stamps and ink pad to put the image on each piece. And it is a nice item to introduce a smart kid to Chess. It's all in the marketing and perceived value. Gee, only fifty two bucks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts