Router Forums banner

Ideas needed

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  hawkeye10 
#1 ·
What do you make from your scraps? I'm talking about 3x3 inches or less. I seem to have a hard time chunking anything these days. Especially if the material is hardwood.

Even better if I can cut 'em out on the CNC.

I have a good supply of clamps for the spoil board so I don't need any of those.

Material thickness may vary from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch thick...some hardwood, some soft wood.

Coasters is about all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks.
I'm all ears!:grin:

#2 ·
End grain cutting boards?

Reactions: MT Stringer
#4 ·
Coasters, yeah, but who puts their beer down to need a coaster? Coffee cup covers, ala Gaffboat. Checkers. Cut smaller and make a checkerboard. Cut into half inch slices, glue with the plies up, all together, and make a table top. Glue in a stack, drill out the center, for a pencil holder. Glue in a short stack for paperweights. Glue in a stack and make a carving mallet. Sometimes when I make a master, rather than using a solid piece for one side I use pieces, works just as well, and saves me wood. Use them for rifle targets. Make little open top boxes to dump your loose change in at night. If you don't want to do any of those things, ship them to me, I can easily find uses, tons of things you can do with pieces like that.

#5 ·
Imbed magnets in them and make refrigerator magnets. Drill shallow holes in them and mount silver dollars in them as kiddo gifts. Make little cars or trains, or miniature heavy equipment with them and give them to kids at Christmas. Perfect BB gun targets, knock 'em down. Cut the small pieces up with a hatchet until you can stand to burn or toss them. Send them to Oliver to get him back to making his wonderful creations.

#6 ·
I made the handle for this box from a small piece of wood. I hate to call good wood scrap.

I made a depth stop for my drill press. White oak.

Zero clearance plate for my saw.

Some of the small pieces were used to make this jig.

I made this just messing aroundto see how close to perfect I could get.

I made this from a small piece of red oak.

I made this to check the blade and fence on my table saw.

#7 ·
I made the handle for this box from a small piece of wood. I hate to call good wood scrap.

I made a depth stop for my drill press. White oak.
Zero clearance plate for my saw.
Some of the small pieces were used to make this jig.
I made this just messing aroundto see how close to perfect I could get.
I made this from a small piece of red oak.
I made this to check the blade and fence on my table saw.
mighty fine...

#8 ·
All look great, Don. I have to do like you did on my small harbor freight drill press. The one that came on it is made out of plastic and doesn't work well. Love the box, dragon, and octagon. The dial indicator for the TS and the splinning jig , and ZC insert are good too,very handy saves a lot of time.
Good way to reuse scrap pieces.
Herb

#12 · (Edited)
3" x 3" scraps? Jeez 'um those are GIANT pieces of wood and you should have no trouble making stuff. I admit to keeping much smaller pieces ... just in case I need 'em. Like these:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.