Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Portugal and thanks for the welcome message to a newcomer.
I have been interested in woodworking for most of my life and now in retirement have just picked up a DW 625E, initially to turn out some slatted sun shades. I have recently been gifted a Trend Router Table Insert Plate (RTI/PLATE) and a couple of clamps/guides which conveniently brings me to my query:
I attach pics of the clamps and wonder if any members can identify these and know how they should be used/mounted.
From the above it is obvious that I am new to routing but am keen to make the most of the DeWALT and look forward to any reply that may be forthcoming.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Patrick, immediately looking at your photos - I have no clue what purpose the clamp(?) is made for. Many styles and configurations of clamps are utilized in woodwork (also in metalworking, etc.) This looks well-made, but the photos do not include an application. This could possibly be a purpose-built clamp or part of something larger that it is merely a component of.

·
Registered
Mike
3,765 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the router forums.

I believe what you have is a set of corner clamps.
I think you need a square frame for the bottom clamp (picture 1) to push the 2 sides into the corner. Clamp 1 mounted to the jig and pushed into the corner, then locked down by the thumb screw. Clamp 2 is for the top and goes into the corner and the 2 arms go over the sides and draw them into alignment. The sprins apply pressure to the workpieces.

Just a guess!

Work safe, Have Fun, Cut some wood,
Mike

Edit:
I don't think the corner has to be square, could be round joint. could be barrel clamps, boat clamps

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Patrick, they're not clamps. They are SUVA-type pressure pads or hold-downs (called Shaw guards in the UK). They are designed to provide both guard and hold down functions on router tables, for example when you are machining. The SUVA guards on the deWalt DE6900 router table are very similar:

The springs are there to press the workpiece firmly against the table or fence (or both at the same time if you want to machine very small section safely, e.g. 1 x 1in stock)

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
Mike
3,765 Posts
Patrick, they're not clamps. They are SUVA-type pressure pads or hold-downs (called Shaw guards in the UK). They are designed to provide both guard and hold down functions on router tables, for example when you are machining. The SUVA guards on the deWalt DE6900 router table are very similar:

The springs are there to press the workpiece firmly against the table or fence (or both at the same time if you want to machine very small section safely, e.g. 1 x 1in stock)

Regards

Phil
Looks like they would be better for hold downs than glue clamps!:moil:
Should be easy to make yourself and mount with T-track on fence or table.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts