Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Folks,
My Name is Dan I'm new to the Forum! Ive been a handyman for 20 years... wow.
As of late My project is a Pocock cedar single,(a sliding seat racing boat 12"x26') with a large hole forward, if anyone knows about repairs on something like this, I need advise on steam bending 3\16"th cedar for the repair, any suggestion or links would be awsome! What drew Me to join this forum was an artical on shotting boards, but I cant seem to find it now that Im a member... Looks loike a good resorce for info though!
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hello Dan, Welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dan.

That sounds like an interesting project.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I remodeled my kitchen a couple years ago and needed to bend a couple pieces of stock for the lazy Susan cabinet. I got ridgid insulation, the pink stuff with aluminum shelthing on one side. I duct taped 4 long pieces together (5 or 6 feet long) and cut two square pieces for each end, one taped in place. The other was my 'door'. I cut a small hole in one edge and rented a wall paper steamer for a day to do the work. Of course I had the form and clamps ready to go. Before steaming I soaked the stock in water overnight.

I never took pictures of that, sorry.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Dan; welcome!
Try looking for articles on canoe building. Are you looking for info on the bending part, or the steaming part?
Taunton Press's 'Fine Woodworking on Proven Shop Tips' has some tips on both issues.
Mind you, my copy is from '85...
Cheers,
-Dan (also)

·
Registered
Theo
7,161 Posts
Welcome aboard. Looks like it'd be a bit tough, fishing from that boat.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably just cut thin strips of wood, clamp one into place, then glue another strip on top, repeat until finished, then sand smooth. It would probably help if we had a picture of the hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts