Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
but I'm going to attempt to do a real project and try a progress update ala MT Stringer. He used his Sketch-Up program and gave me a pretty good idea on how it should look and pointers on how to do this. But he refuses to come up and "help"!!

It will be a slow go cause I'm learning as I proceed. And I don't have my own finishing dept like he does.

So ......Mama would like the wet bar replaced and updated with a newer unit, no wet bar (guess that was the rage in 1980 when the house was built, or should I say thrown together), and some bookcase shelves. Space is 104" long (had to be over 8') up to the ceiling with a header in front of some open space.

Here's what I got so far

We'll call this "before"

That was the fun part, sort of. Had to be pretty careful to damage as little as possible. Ended up being 1 x 2 nailed to the wall with a counter top and face frame nailed to the front with doors. Not much to work with so it all came out!

Gonna leave the plumbing in so the next "lucky" owner can use it if he wants.

Off to the lumber store - got 4 sheets of 3/4 - 5 x 5 BB ripped in 1/2 to start. Figured I'd make the bottom in 3 separate boxes instead of a big built in. I can do it in the basement, and connect them in place when almost finished and stained, hopefully leaving less mess in the family room. Looks like maple is the closest match to the BB, so will probably use that for face fronts and doors, unless anybody has a different opinion. I will order the doors from cabinetsnow.com when the face frame is built and I can get real measurements.

This will probably be a little "overbuild", but it's for us so I don't mind the extra time and $$$$. Well, I do, but I don't have a lot of sayso in this.

Will see what I get done this week end.

HJ

Hoping this thread will prod me onward to finish this in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
John; you've done a cut list and a layout to scale on the 5'x5' plywood format?. If you haven't yet, STOP! and do it now!!
Plywood's just too expensive to not do a scale drawing of the cuts. Waaaay to easy to do a cut out of sequence and end up with lots of scrap.
One way to keep the plywood usage under control is to do a 4" base out of 2"x4" (dry!) and simply face it once it's in place and shimmed perfectly level in all directions. All your vertical hts. will be from its top surfaces.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
John; you've done a cut list and a layout to scale on the 5'x5' plywood format?. If you haven't yet, STOP! and do it now!!
Plywood's just too expensive to not do a scale drawing of the cuts. Waaaay to easy to do a cut out of sequence and end up with lots of scrap.
One way to keep the plywood usage under control is to do a 4" base out of 2"x4" (dry!) and simply face it once it's in place and shimmed perfectly level in all directions. All your vertical hts. will be from its top surfaces.
I agree, sounds like you have done it before a few times. :smile::smile:

Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Too late - think he said he had the 5' sheets ripped in half. That's waste already - they needed to be ripped at 24" as the depth of the cabinets should be 23.5". Add doors and you're near the 24" depth to accommodate a standard width counter top. Could have used the remaining 12" elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Too late - think he said he had the 5' sheets ripped in half. That's waste already - they needed to be ripped at 24" as the depth of the cabinets should be 23.5". Add doors and you're near the 24" depth to accommodate a standard width counter top. Could have used the remaining 12" elsewhere.
You are right, Vince, I rip mine 3'X5", and 2'X5' and then go from there on 5'X5' sheets. Most of the time I work with 4'X8' sheets tho.

Herb

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Guys,

These are much deeper than the average cabinet so the cut doesn't matter that much on these first few pieces. Average width counter top won't fit either. I've been toying with different ideas on how to make one that looks "unique".

I'm making this to fit in the space of the old ones so I don't have to do a lot of refinish work. I'm just working with what's there. Besides, I have to handle these sheets by myself and a half works pretty good. I can always find something to do with any big cut offs. Still got shelves to make too.

One thing, a table saw is a must. Trying to cut all this with a track saw would drive me nuts.

Like I said earlier, this will be overbuilt and probably more expensive than it could have been; but it's for us, so it's not like I gotta make a bid price.

I never claimed to be a cabinetmaker or gave advice on building cabinets, and so far I don't think I want to be one full time. More like a "hobbymaker". Can do a few things ok, but not much very well.

HJ

Gets to play with his new Kreg Pocket Jig.

HJ

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"Most of the time I work with 4'X8' sheets tho."
-Herb

Deja vu' ...I know we've had this conversation before!
If it won't fit in my Astrovan, it ain't comin' home with me.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Try fitting lumber in a Prius. You sure figure a cut list based on the interior space as well as the ply. Also enough to trim off the hack the dull blade made getting the sheets down to size.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks like a great place to build a false wall and store guns, ammo and long term food storage. Maybe a 12" deep edge-to-edge bookcase ... hinged???

Great idea, BUT I already got a gun safe and Mama wants the space for HER stuff.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, John; you may proceed! ;)
You still need the cut list though. I'm sending the wood-police to confirm you've done yours... lol
Believe me, I'm figuring this out pretty close. Got the bright idea of making the counter top with all the cut offs and left overs nested together, and then pouring epoxy finish over it.

HJ

Can I just make a cut list (in triplicate of course) and send it to the wood police? My lumber guy said I don't need one - just keep coming in and getting what I need. lol

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Believe me, I'm figuring this out pretty close. Got the bright idea of making the counter top with all the cut offs and left overs nested together, and then pouring epoxy finish over it.

HJ

Can I just make a cut list (in triplicate of course) and send it to the wood police? My lumber guy said I don't need one - just keep coming in and getting what I need. lol
Your lumber guy will be able to retire soon.>:)

·
Premium Member
19,028 Posts
I have an aging truck for which I built three crossbeams with an I shape so it seats nicely across the opening. Makes for a nice platform that lifts sheet goods an inch and a half above the rim of the truck bed. I can layout cuts while the sheet is on the truck, then use an 18v circular saw to cut to size using a zero clearance jig. Just need a couple of clamps to hold the jig, and the zero clearance jig makes for exact cuts. My jig is about 54 inches long, but I also have an 8 ft aluminum L beam that's two inches by two inches and a bout an eighth inch thick for the occasional longer cut.

Maybe a variation on this so you can cut in the parking lot, then fit pieces in the Prius? Cut good face down to reduce tear out, cut slightly oversized and trim on the table saw. You'd need to have two folding saw horses and a couple of 2x4 beams as long as would fit in the Prius. If I fold the seat down in my Corolla, I can fit 36x60 through the trunk and fold down seat. Don't like to drive my gas hog truck the 120 mile round trip to the good lumber yard, but 3/4x60x60 Baltic Birch so nice to work with that I want buy a bunch at a time and the truck is the only option.

Is there a luggage rack you can get for the top of the Prius? http://www.amazon.com/59806-Removab...095695&sr=8-9&keywords=toyota+prius+roof+rack You could string a couple of 2x2s across these to add more support for sheet goods. Found this source for all kinds of roof racks for Toyota: Search

1 - 20 of 75 Posts