Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m new, hopefully finally in the right place. I’m building 3 walls of bookcases, and am using fluted molding with blocks to transition to the crown and base moldings. BMC/Smoot sells a small molding piece called “Solid Pine Impost Block 883.” They are around $7 each, and I will need a lot of them, so I’d like to try making them myself. Could anyone help me with finding a router bit for this? Thanks much!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Reactions: Steve57

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I couldn't find that exact profile, but you could do it with 2 set-ups with a cove bit and a beading bit. Would take some setting up,don't know if it would be worth it. You could make a similar profile with crown molding bits ,or picture framing bits for the face and glue it to a 45 degree chamfer to make a crown molding. Not sure if that is cost effective either.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find that exact profile, but you could do it with 2 set-ups with a cove bit and a beading bit. Would take some setting up,don't know if it would be worth it. You could make a similar profile with crown molding bits ,or picture framing bits for the face and glue it to a 45 degree chamfer to make a crown molding. Not sure if that is cost effective either.

Herb
you could do that as built up (3 pieces) but the total cost of bits may hurt your brain...
do you have a router table??? if not, stop where you are...
you need to cut a cove..that's 3 pieces, each w/ it's own profile stacked (built up) on top of each other...
Thanks much both of you! I have a router table. I have the cove bit, and will look for the round/bead tomorrow and give it a try. You’re right at some point it’s not cost effective. She has decided it must be that profile, so I’ll see what I can do before I have to admit defeat and sign my next paycheck over to Smoot. :grin:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
you could do that as built up (3 pieces) but the total cost of bits may hurt your brain...
do you have a router table??? if not, stop where you are...
you need to cut a cove..
Freud Tools | 3/4" Radius Cove Bit
the bull nose/half round...
Freud Tools - Search Results for half round
then the kanted/chamfered base...
Freud Tools | 7/8" (Dia.) Chamfer Bit
that's 3 pieces, each w/ it's own profile stacked (built up) on top of each other...

Great post Stick. That is what I call helping someone out. :smile:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@Steve57...
you can post pictures off of the device you are posting from w/o needing 10 posts...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Steve; welcome!
You could buy one piece, make a female mould, and cast the rest of the pieces you need. Mind you that's assuming they're going to be painted...clear finish not so much.
If you only needed 10 or less, personally I'd just bite the bullet and buy the mouldings.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Great post Stick. That is what I call helping someone out. :smile:
am I still scratched off of your list and m oved to the ''other'' list???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts