Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was finishing my latest automaton project I ran into a problem where I had to remove a piece of the assembled mechanism without dismantling everything. I needed a saw long enough and narrow enough to reach into a very tight area. None of my existing tools fit the bill and the alternative would be to tear apart all my hard work.

My solution was an improvised tool made from a narrow length of 3/8" birch plywood and a Bosch jig saw blade. I cut a slot in the end of the plywood handle to fit the blade, super glued it in place, and then I wrapped it with some thin aluminum to help lock the blade in position. The resulting tool was just what I needed and the narrow jig saw blade made it easy to cut through the wood that needed to be removed.

So, the next time you face an unusual problem I suggest you look around your shop for a solution before running to the store for a new tool — which you might not find anyway. The little saw works so well that I'm adding it to my tool box for future use.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
"...before running to the store for a new tool —"
-Oliver

Party poop! ;)
Really...! ! !

Just for that I'm gonna go buy me a tool...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pretty creative Oliver. I can't count the many times I've had to improvise and fabricate something to get the job done. But like the others: You still should've have went to go play and fondle the tools. lol My wife usually has to come yank me out of the tool isles...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Oliver, Rockler might be interested in your saw. You never can tell they seem to have everything. :smile:

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Pretty creative Oliver. I can't count the many times I've had to improvise and fabricate something to get the job done. But like the others: You still should've have went to go play and fondle the tools. lol My wife usually has to come yank me out of the tool isles...
my wife use to stay longer in the tool department than I would...

trade shows..
every minuet the doors are open...
security had to remind her they were closed an needed to go home...

it was some trying ordeals I tell ya...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts